Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching a 1881 solder (off topic)

mcnab

Sorry to put this on the Great War Forum, but I'm researchin a soldier from the 1st Battallion 24th Foot, a Welsh regiment stationed at Colchester in 1881 where we have on the 1881 census a 16 year old soldier who is of interest to me. How can I find out more about him? He apparently recieved no medals, I have the movements of the regiment from their museum currator. Are records held at Kew for that date, if so what?

post-8146-1220993115.jpg

Hi Mcnab

in 1891 there's this

Name: Edward Lancaster

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863

Relation: Soldier

Where born: Louth, Lincolnshire, England

Civil Parish: Aldershot

Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael

Town: Aldershot

County/Island: Hampshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:Sergeant

View Image

Registration district: Farnham

Sub registration district: Frimley

ED, institution, or vessel: 1st Battalion the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment

Births Jun 1863 (>99%)

LANCASTER Edward Caistor 7a 606

There's no BMD record for 1 born in Surrey that I can see

There's a pension record for the 1 above but there are little bits that don't tally.

You can PM your email addy and I'll send it to you

Mel

You will need to look at the records in WO97 at Kew.

Steve.

Nice work!

I found a soldier called Edward Lancaster of 16 years at Colchester camp on the 1881 census.

The xxil were there at that time according to the regimental museum currator.

Then I found this chap

Casualty Details

Name:

LANCASTER, EDWARD

Initials:

E

Nationality:

United Kingdom

Private

Regiment/Service:

Manchester Regiment

Date of Death:

15/11/1915

Service No:

Additional information:

Husband of Martha Lancaster, of 21, West Brownbill St., Salford.

Casualty Type:

Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:

J. N.C. 2322.

Cemetery:

SALFORD (WEASTE) CEMETERY

This discovery puts this thread ON TOPIC for this forum :D

Wonder if this was my boy soldier from 1881, the dates fit.

Can't find his medal card.

Can I search WO67 online?

At the age of 50 there is a fair chance he didnt serve in an area eligble for a medal award (so no MIC). I beleive though that He would though be eligible for a memorial plaque as he died in service within the qualifying date.

He is not included on the soldiers died CDROM

According to the 1881 Census, the Edward Lancaster at the ‘Infantry Camp’, St Botolph’s, Colchester, was born in Newington, Surrey, (now part of the London Borough of Southwark). On the same page, the entry above is for an Alfred Lancaster, 21, born in Banbury, Oxfordshire. He might possibly be Edward’s older brother. As the Edward Lancaster found in the 1891 Census was born in Louth, there is a strong possibility that these are two separate individuals.

Bootneck

To search records at Kew, WO97 should be your first port of call. Not online, though, you'd have to go there or get someone to go for you. If he's not there, then muster rolls would be your next option.

Hmm Kew is at the other end of the Countr for me! I have been told Muster rolls for the regiment do not exist, but discharge papers do, at Kew!

Anyone heading that way in the next week or so?

Muster roll for 1st Bn, 24th Foot, 1877-1882 can be found at Kew in WO 16/1573-5, while there is an index to casualty returns in WO 25/3368 covering the period c. 1850-1910. I must admit that most of this series of casualty indexes appear to peter out in the 1870s (perhaps due to the reforms of the early 1880s).

I almost forgot to ask, where was the photograph taken?

regards

Bootneck

Muster roll for 1st Bn, 24th Foot, 1877-1882 can be found at Kew in WO 16/1573-5, while there is an index to casualty returns in WO 25/3368 covering the period c. 1850-1910. I must admit that most of this series of casualty indexes appear to peter out in the 1870s (perhaps due to the reforms of the early 1880s).

I almost forgot to ask, where was the photograph taken?

regards

Bootneck

The photo is of the top of the famous Cow and calf Rocks in Ilkley of Ilkley Moor Bah Tat fame!

Edward Lancaster, born Newington, Surrey, enlisted in the 24th Foot, Regimental Number: 2855, at Hounslow, 23 September 1879 and approved at Brecon on 27 September. He was aged 14, trade given as Musician. Boy service 23 September 1879 to 17 April 1881, Bandsman 18 April 1881 to 8 November 1889, but continued as Boy until 22 September 1883, and was appointed Lance Corporal, Bandsman, 9 November 1889. Discharged on 6 September 1890 having served 10 years 349 days in the UK. His papers are in WO 97/3257 and consist of 12 pages.

Regards

Bootneck

• 4 weeks later...
Edward Lancaster, born Newington, Surrey, enlisted in the 24th Foot, Regimental Number: 2855, at Hounslow, 23 September 1879 and approved at Brecon on 27 September. He was aged 14, trade given as Musician. Boy service 23 September 1879 to 17 April 1881, Bandsman 18 April 1881 to 8 November 1889, but continued as Boy until 22 September 1883, and was appointed Lance Corporal, Bandsman, 9 November 1889. Discharged on 6 September 1890 having served 10 years 349 days in the UK. His papers are in WO 97/3257 and consist of 12 pages.

Regards

Bootneck

Belated thanks for this one!

I spoke to the Edward Lancaster's great grandaughter and she told me he always regarded himself as a musician! .................But we have him as being born in yorkshire!

FREEBMD lists EDWARD MORTIMER LANCASTER born Sept qtr 1865 registered in LEEDS. Ralph.

Aye that is the very fellow! I tracked down a living relative who confirmed it.