Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Insignia illustrations

Chris Foster

I'm waiting to see insignias worn by the Royal Warwicks in the Fourth Division. Thanks for your effort.

Thanks, Chris.

I'm waiting to see insignias worn by the Royal Warwicks in the Fourth Division. Thanks for your effort.

Hi,

The I-d pamphlet gives the following details:

[1] 1st Bn. Warwickshire Regt: 3” X 1” green horizontal rectangle, cotton.

[2] 1st Bn. Warwickshire Regt: Dark blue horizontal rectangle with a vertical orange-yellow central stripe, ribbon.

Note: I should imagine that the colours given would be the same as the colours of their hackle that they later wore!

10th Infantry Brigade: Buff rectangle with blue centre. The illustration shows a horizontal rectangle with a vertical central stripe, cotton.

There were no other details given.

Regards

Arthur

Thanks, Arthur. Your information confirms Chappell's in the Osprey book.

Well, its my own time I'm wasting Scott. And as far as I know no one else as posted images of the Canadian Div's on the GWF.

Kindest Regards

Chris

H.Q 4th Inf Bde

post-16754-1223290659.jpg

4th T.M Battery

post-16754-1223290738.jpg

18th Bn

post-16754-1223290800.jpg

19th Bn

post-16754-1223290864.jpg

More to follow

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to identify what I believe may be a divisional insignia worn by a relative of mine during WW1. He started out life in the Berks Regt but transferred to the MGC in summer 1915. The insignia in question is a square made up of 4 - coloured triangles - red, green, yellow and blue with a smaller black square at the centr of the larger square. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to Johnreed for the 'one eyed man is king' explanation .. can you (or anyone else expand on that) .. was that a Kipling story? And why did the Guards choose that symbol?

Cheers

Des

Des,

We're straying off topic here, but I reckon you're thinking of Kipling's short story The Man Who Would Be King. It was filmed with Sean Connery and Michael Caine. The plot hinges on the two protagonists being freemasons.

The one-eyed man etc. relates more to a short story by H.G.Wells called The Country Of The Blind.

Both are excellent by the way.

The original saying "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" goes back to the Adages published by Erasmus in 1500 ... in the original Latin: "In regione caecorum rex est luscus"

I must admit though, I thought the Guards symbol was definitely the masonic All-Seeing Eye and had not heard this explanation before.

Cheers,

Mark

I am trying to identify what I believe may be a divisional insignia worn by a relative of mine during WW1. He started out life in the Berks Regt but transferred to the MGC in summer 1915. The insignia in question is a square made up of 4 - coloured triangles - red, green, yellow and blue with a smaller black square at the centr of the larger square. Anyone have any ideas?

Any chance of a photo Wilks ?

Regards

Chris

Any chance of a photo Wilks ?

Regards

Chris

Unfortunately not; I have tried to draw the insignia and import it here but to no effect - perhaps a different explanation. Think of 4 equalateral triangles, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue and 1 yellow - all with the apex pointed at a central point so that what were the baselines of the individual triangles form the outside of a square. Superimposed on that larger square ( about 2" square) is a smaller (1/2" square) black square. If we have no joy then I will try to obtain a photograph from my father but importing it to this forum may be difficult to achieve i.e. currently serving in the RAF and this system has various "security" measures to prevent viruses etc. Sorry.

Wilks

... I reckon you're thinking of Kipling's short story The Man Who Would Be King. .

Course that was before Kipling got interested in insignia and started writing books about Cap Badges! :P

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi I see the 9th (Scottish) Division insignia displayed can you tell me if this was worn by the sSouth African Brigade who were part of this division?

Many thanks Ian.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Ref Divisional Insignia, 16th Division ( Irish ) ( New Army) Green Clover Leaf

Hello I am new to this so bear with my ignorance!

My Grandfather served in France 1916 - 1919 in the Hampshire Regiment, No 41437 - (he was a Royal Engineer, but his medals state "Private" would he not have been a "Sapper"?)

I have his Royal Engineer shoulder titles and another which is identical to the Green Clover of 16th Division ( Irish ) ( New Army) as shown earlier on this thread.

What does this mean? How could he have been Hampshire Reg. & 16th Div(Irish)?

Any help on putting me on the right track will be much appreciated.

Jeremy

post-51797-0-25867500-1385743935_thumb.j

I like it when an excellent old thread like this bursts into life after 5 years or so. Incidentally it's the first time I've seen the 47th Division sign shown as in post 29 above. Its normally shown as per my avatar with the lines drawn into the centre spot. (See the embossed cover of the divisional history, a divisional Christmas card in my possession from 1918, and the cigarette card set). I wonder if this version was used at a different point in the war, or was used in order to simplify the painting?

Really useful to see these unit patches shown.

Jerry B,

Thanks for reopening this Thread, I was not aware of it.

Chris did a great job back in 2008 putting all this extremely useful information together, so many thanks to Chris, an excellent resource.

Regards,

LF

To address the half-decade old questions about the Guards Div sign, I did a little research on this about 20 years ago.

Whilst I no longer have my precise findings, I do recall that the symbol was chosen by the ASC Transport officer attached to the Div when it was formed in 1915. (I recall he was a captain, but I forget his name - it will be in a notebook somewhere in the attic.)

It would be astonishing if there were no masonic connection. The Ever Open Eye symbol is very strongly associated with Freemasonry, and The Craft has always been a powerful influence in the Guards.

The sign soon became known as the "Gladeye" and this seems to have derived from a Florrie Forde music hall song called "Oh, The Lady With the Glad Eye."

The sign was redesigned in WW2 by the artist Rex Whistler, who was killed in action as a Sherman commander with the tank battalion of the Welsh Guards on the first day of Op GOODWOOD.

Post-war (WW2) the sign was used by IV (Guards) Armoured Brigade, with a small Roman IV added below the eye.

Jerry B,

Thanks for reopening this Thread, I was not aware of it.

Chris did a great job back in 2008 putting all this extremely useful information together, so many thanks to Chris, an excellent resource.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

I found whilst undertaking a search and though I had nothing constructive to add to it I commented on it so I could find it again. A great and very useful thread IMHO.

As you mention, praise is due to Chris who posted the information.

I have always thought this should be a "classic thread" & tried to have it listed in earlier days.

Colin.

It would get my vote Colin.

Jeremy

The 11th (Service) Battalion Hampshire Regiment were the Divisional Pioneers of the 16th Division.

Mike

Mike - Many thanks for this - I am trying to get my head round all the units/divisions/regiments etc to see if I can find out what he did! Thanks again