Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Record of solicitors and articled clerks

stiletto_33853

Andy,

Would you be so kind to see if there is any reference for Lieut William Charles WHITE, "A" Company, 9th Battalion, Tank Corps. Formerly, Private 6991, No 5 Company, 1st/5th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Many thanks

Marc

Mark,

Thomas Arnold SKINNER

Admitted March 1901, practised at Sheffield. Joined June 1915, as 2nd Lieut, 7th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers. Served in France. Fatally wounded at the second Battle of the Somme July 28th,1917 and died at Rouen August 10th, 1917.

Hope this helps

Andy

Mark,

Frank William DUST.

Admitted October 1912. Member of Alderson, Son & Dust, of Sheffield. Mobilised August 1914, as Lieutenant, 3rd West Riding Brigade, Royal Field Artillery(T), promoted Captain March 1915, Major December 1916. Awarded the M.C., Served in England August 1914 to March 1915, and in France and Belgium March 1915 to April 1917. Killed in action at Lens April 23rd, 1917.

Hope this helps

Andy

Marc,

Sorry there is no reference to a William Charles White.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks, your information has been really helpful and has filled some gaps.

Much obliged,

Mark

Marc Thompson

Andy,

Many thanks for taking the time to look.

Regards

Marc

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Would you have a look and see if there is anything on Harold Gibson Hornsby of the Yorkshire Regt.

He worked on the solicitors staff at HM Customs and Excise.

Grateful for any info.

Bob.

stiletto_33853

Bob,

Entry for this gentleman is as follows :-

Harold Gibson HORNSBY, Admitted June 1910. On the staff of the Solicitor to H.M. Customs and Excise, Lower Thames Street, E.C. Joined September 20th, 1914, as Private. Bristol Battalion of Gloucestershire Regiment, transferred to the 20th Hussars January 1915, Gazetted 2nd Lieutenant 11th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, Easter 1915. Served in France from October 1915. Killed at Fricourt, July 1st 1916.

Hope this information helps you Bob.

Andy

stiletto_33853

Bob,

You are welcome , glad I could help you with this gentleman.

Andy

Andy,

Back again, could I trouble you to look up Gerald Norman Hunnybun of the Yorkshires. Worked for the family law firm before the war I believe.

Bob.

Andy

Would you have any info on Cyril William Winterbotham, Lt, 1/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, killed in action on 27th August 1916?

Many thanks

Regards

Jimmy

stiletto_33853

Hi Bob,

Entry for your man is as follows:-

HUNNYBUN, Gerald Norman, Admitted August 1911, Of Huntingdon, Joined September 1914, as 2nd Lieut, 9th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, and subsequently promoted Adjutant Lieut and Major. Twice mentioned in Despatches. Awarded the M.C. Served in France and Italy. Killed 23rd October 1918.

Hope this helps you Bob.

Andy

stiletto_33853

Jimmy,

There are three Winterbothms in the book, a Frederick Page Winterbotham, James Percival Winterbotham and a William Winterbotham of the RGA but none that fits your man although James Percival Winterbotham was in the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Andy

stiletto_33853

Bob,

Something else has come up about your man, Another entry in this book has a Kenneth Hunnybun also of Huntingdon and worked for Hunnybun and sons of Huntingdon.

I have some records from Cambridge Library one of which is the Roll of Honour for Huntingdon where Kenneth Hunnybuns address is given as 6 The Walks, East, Huntingdon.

There is also a William Hunnybun in the Roll from the same address.

Hope all this is some help to you, pm or E Mail me if it is and I will see what else I can dig up.

The name just rang a bell so had a quick look through my databases.

Andy

stiletto_33853

Bob,

Must be your lucky day.

Hunnybun (MC) Gerald Norman, (spelt Hunybun on SDGW & CWGC)

Major, 9th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment. Killed in action Wednesday 23rd October 1918 in France and Flanders, aged 31. Mentioned in despatches.

Youngest son of Gerald and Leta Hunnybun, Old Court Hall, Godmanchester.

Buried in Pommereuil British Cemetery, Nord, France. Grave E.8.

Your man is on the Godmanchester, Huntingdonshire, War Memorial.

For a picture of the war memorial were his name is clearly shown go to roll-of-honour.com, listed in Hunts file, Godmanchester.

Presumably the two other sons had set up home in Huntingdon which is literally just over the river from Godmanchester and Gerald lived at home as he is not on the Huntingdon Roll of Honour.

Andy

stiletto_33853

Jimmy,

Also no reference to your man in The Roll of Honour, Sorry.

Andy

Andy

Many thanks for taking time out to look.

I've checked (and decyphered) my scribbled notes and this chap graduated from Lincoln College Oxford with a law degree in 1909. He was subsequently called to the bar and here the story ends until 1914 and his service in the Gloucesters and death on the Somme in 1916.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

Jimmy

stiletto_33853

Jimmy,

Try contacting rflory on this site he has an awesome collection of school and college rolls, he just might have your man.

Andy

stiletto_33853

Hi Simon,

Not to the best of my knowledge and have had a quick look at N&M books for you, none listed

Andy

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks Andy - I ask because one of "my" Second World War men was a solicitor. His wife was also a solicitor and I was interested in finding out about them. Particularly as I have been unable to find any record of them marrying.

Regards

Simon Bull

stiletto_33853

Simon,

Tried a few sites for you, have been unable to find a book covering WW2, bedt of luck with this and trying to find out about your people.

Andy

Andy,

Would you mind looking to see if there is an entry for Leonard Percy I'anson.

Lt with the 4th Yorkshires and KIA April 25TH 1915, just one week after landing.

Before the war he was a practising solicitor in Middlesbrough.

Many Thanks,

Bob.