Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"D" Bty. 23rd Bde., Royal Field Artillery

Can anyone help. I am researching a Lieutenant Thomas William Osgood who died on the 19th July 1916. I am trying to locate the postion, location on the Somme of his unit.

Coincidentally my wife's great uncle, Farrier Serjeant Richard Sussex, also served with this battery from 3 July 1916, being posted from the UK on that date. He survived the war, as do his service records, but the detail is so badly worn after July that it is illegible :(

I would be very interested in any other information.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

The War Diary for the 23rd Brigade is held at the NA and can be found in WO 95/1399, this covers the period 1914-1916. WO 95/293 covers 1917-1919. The diaries should give an exact location for the dates mentioned.

'D' (Howitzer) Bty. XXIII Bde, 3rd Division was formed on 14th May 1916 from sections of 129th and 130th (Howitzer) Btys which were both units in XXX (Howitzer) Bde of the same division. The battery left the division around 21st January 1917 and became an Army Field Artillery brigade.

Jon

The War Diary for the 23rd Brigade is held at the NA and can be found in WO 95/1399, this covers the period 1914-1916. WO 95/293 covers 1917-1919. The diaries should give an exact location for the dates mentioned.

'D' (Howitzer) Bty. XXIII Bde, 3rd Division was formed on 14th May 1916 from sections of 129th and 130th (Howitzer) Btys which were both units in XXX (Howitzer) Bde of the same division. The battery left the division around 21st January 1917 and became an Army Field Artillery brigade.

Jon

Jon thanks very much for the information

Steve

• 8 years later...

I realise this topic was raised 9 years ago but quite by chance I saw this post after returning from France last week. I visited the grave of my great uncle, Thomas William Osgood (died 19th July 1916) in Quarry cemetry, Montauban De Picardie. I wanted to find out more about him and his battery and the last days of his life on the Somme.

if by chance anyone can enlighten me I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks Kerry (nee Osgood)

Welcome to the Forum Kerry,

Your great uncle has a service record that can be consulted at The National Archives, Kew. You will require the Reference Number with is available via his link - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1081612

Either go in person or obtain the services of a researcher who will be able to photograph the documents for you.

As he was an officer, he should be named in the 23rd Brigade RFA War Diary which is also at The National Archives, but downloadable via this link for £3.50 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352033

Many thanks David for your help. I have done this and now found as you said the exact entry which is amazing!