Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australia need a little help

stiletto_33853

Wonder if any of our pals down under can give a little hand here.

Sidney Charles Garrard enlisted in the 16th Londons on 31/8/14, #2554, and was discharged to commission on 15/3/15 going into the Rifle Brigade. He went to the 14th Battalion and then to the 8th RB's being killed by a sniper on the 28/8/15.

He was the third and youngest son of William Garrard, Esq., Surgeon, of Melbourne and educated at Melbourne Grammar School.

Does this school still exist ??? and if so did it produce a roll ???, the mish mash I have got from his records as to addresses is quite mind boggling, from Kew in Victoria to Bayswater in London and even in Belfast. His wife remarried another officer in 1917 in Paris.

Any help from down under would be much appreciated.

Andy :ph34r: (the unamed one)

Melbourne Grammar School does indeed still exist. The website for Christs College (a secondary school for boys in Christchurch) in New Zealand has a list of all the old boys who've attended and what house they were in, but I can't see anything like that on the Melbourne Grammar site. Maybe you could try contacting the historian for the MGS Old Boys Association or the school itself? I've been sucessful with doing that for Auckland Grammar School in NZ.

Allie

Allie,

Thank you very much, I could not find anything on the school so this is much appreciated. I will contact them through their site and hope that they might be able to assist me.

Andy

Hi Andy,

This appears to be his birth:

Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888

Surname: GARRARD

Given Names: Stanley Charles

Event: Birth

Spouse Surname/Father: William

Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Ann Eliz OMULLANE

Birth Place: MELB

Death Place:

Year: 1882

Reg Number: 3959

Denomination:

Parish:

Fiche:

1856 Victorian Electoral roll records:

No 1397, Garrard William, Abode Melbourne Hospital, Surgeon, Medical Practitioner, Qualification from Medical Board of Victoria

Death of father:

Given Names: William

Event: Death

Spouse Surname/Father: William

Spouse Gvn Names/Mother:

Death Place: S MELB

Year: 1883

Reg Number: 2489

Denomination:

Parish:

Fiche:

Death of mother:

Given Names: Mary Ann

Event: Death

Spouse Surname/Father:

Spouse Gvn Names/Mother:

Sex: F

Birth Place:

Death Place: GEELONG

Year: 1853

Reg Number: 24646

Denomination: Church of England

Parish: CHRIST CHURCH, GEELONG

Fiche: 362

Marriage of parents

Given Names: William

Event: Marriage

Spouse Surname/Father: OMULLANE

Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Ann Eliza

Birth Place:

Death Place:

Year: 1868

Reg Number: 3720

Denomination:

Parish:

Fiche:

Not about Stanley but appears to be a brother:

From the newspaper The Argus dated Wednesday, 14 April 1915:

News has been received here that Major William Garrard, a son of the late W Garrard, M.D., M.R.C.S., of Collins street, Melbourne, has been 'seriously wounded,' and is now lying at one of the base hospitals France. Major Garrard received his commission in the army just prior to the Boer War, and after two years active service in Africa he was stationed in Ireland, being gazetted major prior to leaving for the front recently in charge of reinforcements.

If you go here: http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home then search for Garrard and narrow it down to the newspaper The Argus there are a number of hits for the Garrard name.

Doug

Andy.

I was at The Shrine in Melbourne yesterday and one of the wardens mentioned that the roll of honour which is displayed in a number of books there, contains Victorians/Australians who fought with/for British units. He even offered to open up the case's containing the rolls to look up anyone. The Lodge of MGS which appears to contain the archives is actually about a 5 min walk from The Shrine. If you have an address 'Kew in Victoria', Kew is a suburb of Melbourne approx 8km's from the city. If you need any leg work done just let me know and I will see what I can do.

Andy

The Lodge

Reception, Admissions, Development,

The Old Melburnians, Friends of

Grammar, Archives, Publications

355 St Kilda Road

Melbourne VIC 3004

Telephone: 61 3 9865 7555

Fax: 61 3 9865 7577

Hi Andy

The following is his Obituary from the "War Services of Old Melburnians 1914-18"

STANLEY CHARLES GARRARD who was killed in action in France on 28th August

1915 was the younger son of Dr. Garrard. He was born in 1881 and entered the

School in 1896 remaining there three years. He and his wife left Melbourne on a

pleasure trip, and after being in England for about 18 months he enlisted in the

Queen's Westminsters, and after training for nine months he received his commission

as 2nd Lieutenant in the 14th Rifle Brigade and proceeded to the

front with the 8th Battalion, to which he was attached. The following is an

extract from a letter to his widow by the commanding officer of the late Lieutenant

Garrard's regiment, on the day of his death, 28th August : "Believe me when I

say that your husband showed unusual courage and resource for one who had

been out here for so short a time. I regret I had not got to know him really

well; but I have been talking to the officer who commanded the company he was

attached to a week ago, and he called him a splendid fellow. Indeed, I knew him

well enough to recognise that fact. Anyhow, he had had a very hard and

strenuous time, and I had been wondering whether he was over-working. All night

he was out and about in front of the trench doing the -wire or taking a patrol.

He is a very great loss, not only to the battalion but to the regiment."

There's a small photo of him too - but I haven't quite worked out how to extract this from the 'CD Book' yet, to post.

Cheers, Frev

Well he was a member !! :)

MELBOURNE CRICKET CLUB

Roll of Honour

1914-1918

42. SECOND LIEUTENANT STANLEY CHARLES GARRARD

Lived at Fawkner Mansions, Punt Road, Prahran. Educated at Melbourne Grammar School, 1896-1897.

Member of Royal Melbourne Golf Club. Enlisted in 1914 in the British Expeditionary Force, in the

Queen’s Westminsters. He was killed on August 28, 1915 while serving in Flanders with the 14th Rifle

Brigade. He was 34

http://mcc.org.au/News/Club%20Publications...01914%2018.ashx

Heres his headstone

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...d=12333722&

You been playing with that newspaper website again Frev? Better get on to our list in Timmy's website!!!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

rgartillery, Doug, Andy, Frev, Annie and Sandra, thank you all for the information, absolutely marvelous and after all this time on the forum it still amazes me the depth of knowledge out there.

Andy, the address I have from his records is in the attachment, wonder if you can make it out.

His wife, Enid Myra Merlyn Garrard was a very difficult person to tie down for the British authorities for his pension with addresses given from several hotels, address in Bayswater, Berkley Square, Egypt & Australia, but the bank she used was the Victoria bank in King William Street. They were married on 7/12/07 at Holy Trinity Church, Kew, Victoria.

The brother mentioned was Captain William Gerrard, 4th Royal Irish Fusiliers, Victoria Barracks, Belfast, another brother (George) stayed in Melbourne.

She remarried a Captain R.G. Gallien of the NZEF at the British Consulate General in Paris but it has been quite a trail getting all of his and his wife's details sorted out, they seemed to like to travel extensively.

Andy

post-1871-1220783338.jpg

Hi Andy,

... formerly of ?, Studley Park Road, Kew, Melbourne,...

The question mark (hate old writing) would be a house name.

The 1909 Australian Electoral Roll has:

1882, Garrard, Enid, Studley Park rd., Kew, Home duties, Female

1883, Garrard, Stanley Charles, Studley Park rd., Kew, Student, Male

The 1903 has:

1634, Garrard, Stanley Charles, Male, Studley Park, Kew, Student

Doug

Doug,

Know what you mean about the old handwriting, thank you for the extra little bit, does anyone have a copy of the 'Old Melburians' for that picture that frev has placed in the thread??

Andy

Andy, i have a copy amongst the piles of books on my floor, i will try and find it

regards John

John,

You are a star, many thanks. PM on its way.

Andy

Andy

Heama??? Studley Park Road, Kew, Melbourne.

I am sure I will be travelling down Studley Park Road sometime later this week, there are some very impressive dwellings down there so will keep an eye out for any names that may match if it still exists.

Andy