Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sheringham - The First Bomb

chrisharley9

HPIM1582.jpg

Saw this today on a day out - any comments welcome - at the entrance to Whitehall Yard, Sheringham

Chris

I believe the first bomb to fall on British soil was on Christmas Eve 1914 when bombs were dropped on Dover in the vicinity of the castle.

Regards

TonyE

Interesting - I wonder what their source of information is

Chris

Chris

Nice photo! This plaque refers to the first of two incendiary bombs dropped on Sheringham by Naval Zeppelin L4, commanded by Kapitanleutnant Magnus von Platen-Hallermund. This is popularly known as the first bomb dropped by a Zeppelin on England. (A crested china model of the bomb was made by Arcadian China as a souvenir). The first aeroplane bomb was, indeed, dropped on Dover on 24 December 1914 as has already been mentioned.

The first Sheringham incendiary hit a cottage in Jordan's Yard, Windham Street (I have a postcard that says Wyndham Street), passing through the roof, bedroom and kitchen ceiling before burying itself in the floor. The force was such that a girl sitting in a chair was thrown to the floor, but the missile failed to explode and there were no injuries. The second incendiary fell on open ground in Priory Road, leaving a small crater.

L4 went on to King's Lynn via Beeston, Thornham, Brancaster, Hunstanton and Snettingham, scattering bombs on the way. Seven high explosive bombs and one incendiary bomb were released over King's Lynn, killing two.

Was the Sheringham bomb actually the first dropped over England by a Zeppelin? L4 was accompanied by L3, commanded by Kapitanleutnant Johann Fritz. I have certainly read an account which attributes the first explosive bombs dropped on England by the L3 at Great Yarmouth at 8.25pm. Two people were also killed in that raid. Any thoughts?

Regards to all on the Forum!

David

The first Zeppelin raid was on East Anglia on the night of 19/20 January 1915, with bombs dropped on Great yarmouth, Kings Lynn and other locations in Norfolk. perhaps that is what the plaque refers to?

Regards

TonyE

Oops! posts crossed.

It still does not alter the fact that it was not the first bomb.

regards

TonyE

Thanks very much for all of your comments - just goes to show that the locals are often wrong

Chris

• 7 years later...

Hello, the first bomb to be dropped on Britain during ww1 was dropped at 11am on Christmas Eve 1914. It was aimed at Dover castle from a single German aircraft - not a Zeppelin. It missed the castle and landed in the rectory garden of St James church, belonging to Mr Thomas Terson JP. A Mr John Banks was up a tree next door collecting holly for Christmas Day when the bomb fell. It blew him out of the tree. I cannot find if he was injured or killed.

A piece of the bomb was presented to the King by the Dover Castle Garrison and is now in possession of the IWM. It is currently on display in the IWM North in Manchester. Hope this helps,cheers.

Regards, Brian

• 4 weeks later...

The Zeppelin raid of January 1915, whilst it may not have been the first in terms of bombs falling on the UK mainland, was responsible for the first death of a British national. The poor unfortunate was, I believe, called Samuel Smith, who was a shoemaker in Kings Lynn :) If memory serves me correctly (my Zepp records aren't close to hand at the moment, so I'm working from memory) two other people were also killed that night, one of them a young child.

All the best,

Greg

The first casulaties were Samuel Smith and Martha Taylor in Great Yarmouth - both killed by the same bomb.

I stand corrected Aspern - right name, wrong location!!

Best wishes,

Greg