Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914/15 Ribbon when?

andrew pugh

Evening All.

I wonder if someone could help,If a soldier landed in France on the 4/12/1914, at what point or when would he have been given the ribbon for the the 1914/15 star to sew on his uniform,would it have been before 1918? I know the 1914/15 star medal wasnt made official to wear until after 1918,correct me if im wrong. This is fairly important to my research on my Gt Uncle ,so if someone could help please.

Best Regards Andy.

Andy

Your Great Uncle was, alas, 12 days too late to qualify for the 1914 Star, the riband of which became available at the beginning of 1918. That for the 1914/15 Star was not available until early 1919.

Charles M

Evening Charles.

What Im trying to find out is, would the ribbon have been issued long before the medal was actualy issued to a soldier.Would my Gt Uncle have been given the ribbon before the end of 1918? to sow on his uniform? Charles woud it be ok to PM you on this or phone you if you give me your phone number if this is permmited, as this is quite important to me for my reseach. Hope you dont think im being too cheeky.

Regards Andy.

As Charles stated the 1914~15 Star Ribbon would not have been authorised until post war,only the 1914 Star ribbon{& @ that time no Clasp/Roses was authorised}was issued for wear before the cessation of Hostilities in Europe.

The actual 1914~15 Star would not have been awarded until after the end of the War.

thus any photograph of him wearing this ribbon is either post 1918 or is of the 1914 Star & thus possibly of another recipient

Article from The Times (January 13th 1919) as to the wearing of the 1914-15 Star riband......

on the same subject of ribbons. if a soldier was awarded an m s m in dec 1917 [salonica] , how long would it take to issue the medal /ribbon.

mike.

Mike, presenting both the ribbon and the medal in that case would useually be a special presentation after the Gazette had made its way to Salonica. There was not a prescribed time.

Gallantry award ribbons would often be presented {ie the Ribbon bar only} prior to promulgation in the Gazette.once confirmation of the award was made {some weeks/months before Gazette} The actual Medal may not have been presented/sent until after hostilities had ceased.

There are documented cases of Ribbons being sent to/awarded in Hospital to wounded men.

Gentlemen,

Can I put a "cat among the pigeons"? Soldiers being soldiers maybe would wear, unofficially, the '14 riband if awarded the '14/'15 star it being the same ... or would they not?

What do you think?

Chris

As the 1914~15 Star was not in existence until post 1918 they wouldnt have known they where entitled to it ~?

& it would be a very brave man to wear a ribbon to which he was unentitled in front of his Sergeant Major!!!