Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Rowan Heywood Daly, DSC

RFT

Capt Rowan Heywood Daly, DSC

Formerly Flight Sub Lieut Royal Navy

Capt Daly served with 47 Squadron RAF, South Russia, 1919/1920.

Disembarked South Russia 10 July 1919.

First posted to "C" Flight and thence to "B" Flight on 28 September 1919.

Embarked for UK 28 March 1920.

Awarded Russian 'Order of St Vladimir, 4th Class' and 'Cross of St George, 4th Class.'

I would very much welcome any further information on Capt Daly

He has a page on theaerodrome.com - http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/daly.php

This suggests he was killed in a flying accident near Northampton in 1923 - but his death was recorded in the registration district of Grantham in the 2nd qtr of 1924

Daly Rowan H 26 Grantham 7a 489

As well as having the DSC (citation shown on the aerodrome page) he also was awarded the DFC - Gazette Issue 31974 published on the 9 July 1920. Page 2 of 6

Flight Lieutenant Rowan Heywood Daly,

D.S.O. (South Russia).

He also has a pension record on Ancestry showing him spending 165 days from 27th August 1914 (when he was 17 years and 5 months) to 5th February 1915 as no 2288 - Private in the 14th Battalion County of London Regiment - he was discharged for special employment with Electrical Engineers

Per the 1901 census (when he was 3) he was born in Austria - Consular birth registration records Trieste

I'll post his Royal Aero Club certificate and photo in a second

Cheers

Sue

Hi once again Sue

Another splendid response to my post.

No doubt you will have seen my post for info on Lieut J R Hatchett. Can you add anything here?

I will shortly be submitting posts for several other officers of 47 Squadron and very much look forward to your help if you can offer it.

Best regards

Rob

Hi Rob - glad to have found something for you on Daly - I think I had a quick look for anything about Hatchett earlier today but nothing conclusive I don't think

Just heading off to bed now (been watching Paralympic Opening Ceremony on TV) but will check again on Hatchett tomorrow - or rather later on today - and see if anything else jumps up and grabs me on him

Seems like some you find - some you don't - a bit of a lottery I think

Cheers Again

Sue

He receives a brief mention in "Over the Balkans and South Russia"

best regards John

My grandfather served with Daly at Manston, and was on the patrol on 7/7/17. The photo of Daly on The Aerodrome website came from my GF's collection. The uncropped photo shows him sitting in a Camel with the name "Wonga Bonga" painted on it. From my understanding, that nickname is from the sound that the Gotha bomber's engines make.

I have a few pics of Daly, some congradulatory naval signals, and a letter from the admiralty awarding the DSO to Butler, and the DSC to Daly and Scott.

I don't have any information concerning his flying after WWI. What are you researching, if you don't mind me asking?

Hello ctlofft

Thank you for your message and the email. I have just responded to the latter.

I have, for several years, undertaken in depth research into the officers and men of 47 Squadron, South Russia, 1919/1920. If I can help at all then please do not hesitate to make contact.

Best regards

Rob

• 10 years later...

To all,

It is of great comfort to find information on my father's Uncle, Rowan Heywood Daly, as I have been looking to make a connection for him with Daly's wartime pursuits and conquests.

I have his collection of medals and wish to find a safe and appropriate home for them in the Mother Country!

It is a significant grouping, but I will be guided by others with a greater knowledge.

We are based in Melbourne - Australia.

I appreciate any information provided.

Regards   - Darren Adey

E: darrenadey@gmail.com

RHD Grouping.JPG

8 minutes ago, Darren Adey said:

I have his collection of medals and wish to find a safe and appropriate home for them in the Mother Country!

The Fleet Air Arm Museum could well be interested in acquiring the medals of one of their earliest pilots - an 'Ace' of the Royal Naval Air Service with seven kills.       E-mail:  acquisitions@nmrn.org.uk    

Edited by horatio2

Good morning Darren and welcome to the GWF.

It was good to see the re-emergence of this topic, first posted 10 years ago.

Thanks for posting the photograph of Capt. Daly's medals (including the number on the Cross of St George).  A fine collection indeed but the image does not include the inscription along the bottom.  A photograph of the entire display would be most welcome and would you object to me retaining a copy for my archive. 

Best regards,

Rob

Edited by RFT