The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries - Battle of Frezenberg 1915

Joxer

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for information on my great grandfather and I'm beginning to build up some good information with the help of this forum. Another kind member posted the following paragraph about his battalion

"The 2nd RDF were part of the 10th Brigade of the 4th Division. It would appear that Michael Horan was KiA during the Battle of Frezenberg 8th-13th May 1915. Frezenberg is about 3 miles NE of Ypres. On the morning of the 10th the Germans did release gas but without any great success, the battalion took up positions in woods near Potijze Chateau, took part in the attack and reached Frezenberg but were driven back to Mouse Trap Farm."

Would anybody have copies of any war diaries or accounts of this battle and in particular anything that mentions Mouse Trap Farm or Potijze Chateau? My family knew that he had escaped the poison gas attack on May 10th and that he may have died when a farm 'near a ridge' was shelled. This would match up nicely with the information posted above. I've requested copies of war diaries online but I'll have to wait to find out what they come back with.

His details are as follows

Sgt Michael Horan

2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Service Number - 7730

KIA May 10th 1915

Cheers

Joxer

Dear Joxer

I would get hold of a copy of 'Magnificent But Not War' by John Dixon

A very good description of the whole Second Battle of Ypres.

Also the relevant edition of the Official History.

I will also try and post a relevant map

Alan

Also

The relevant war diary for the Battalion is in the National Archives at Kew

If you can't get to Kew then you can order pages online by going to their website

WO 95/1481 2 Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers 1914 Aug. - 1916 Nov

Alan

Cheers Alan. I've ordered the diaries from Kew. Still waiting on a quote from them. I work for a large book retailer so I'll have to get myself a copy of that John Dixon book

;)

• 3 years later...

I've sent you a Personal Message.

I have a fair bit of info on Frezenberg, albeit from the perspective of the 2nd King's Own who were wiped out on May 8th. However, the maps in it show where the 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers were holding the line after the setback on the 8th.

Best wishes.

Andy.