Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Keyworth VC

Peter Bennett

I am not for one minute suggesting that this is not a genuine item, but I would have thought the museum which holds his medals had this as part of the collection.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=019

Well, someone has bid the £1000 starting price

Only 2 day auction which is strange - also I would probably have expected a bit more information on how the seller came about it, was it a family member etc

Again, no evidence to suggest it is not genuine but a good item to be selling for your first go on ebay

Will be interested to know how much it eventually goes for

Liam

Leonard Keyworth's headstone at Abbeville Communal Cemetery

Picture taken by myself about 5 weeks ago

Liam

Leonard Keyworth's headstone at Abbeville Communal Cemetery

Picture taken by myself about 5 weeks ago

Liam

post-8804-1220646901.jpg

Being interested I have "E" mailed the vendor of the plaque regardng where they obtained it. Apparently it was purchased at a local flea market as an ordinary plaque. If this proves to be the case it was one heck of a find and far from ordinary. I may be being over cautious but I`m not going to risk it.

Lucky find and a great buy, although I think I would want to have hands on before parting with a couple or few grand.

Mick

Auction price now £2150.00 with 5 bids.

I agree with Mick's statement, it seems too good to be true. Although someone I used to work with bought a pre-war swimming or shooting medal to Samuel Meekosha VC at a car boot sale for a pittance.

Jim - when you say "as an ordinary plaque" ... did you get the impression that there were other plaques and militaria on sale with it? Or that it was just one among random assorted items? Because if the latter, we have to bear in mind that the majority of people wouldn't have the faintest idea what a WWI death plaque is anyway.

The lady just said she bought it as an ordinary plaque! she obviously knew what a plaque was so it may well have been an isolated item. It will be interesting to see what transpires. As you say most people don`t know what a plaque is. It looks like their first venture on "E" bay as well!

Would definitely only complete this kind of transaction in person.

Anyone paying by the only available payment method (not the sellers fault because of no feedback) will only be covered for £150.

The seller has also undervalued the postage cost for the insured value, even at the starting price of £1000.

The seller registered nearly 2 and a half years ago, so it is possible they have another account with less than desirable feedback. They must have received many questions, but have chosen not to make any of them public.

Could also be a minefield for the seller if genuine, should they encounter a less than honest buyer.

I personally bid up to £3000.

Les

Is that deductable :P ?

The flea market in Wakefield, thats where the seller is located, is just that, a flea market the majority of sellers know exactly what they have, we have never found anything in Wakefield except a first edition 'How I filmed the War'. There are also several professional ebay sellers in the area who value and sell your goods for you, so a lot of local stuff goes through them. To find any plaque, let alone a VC is very very lucky.

Mick