Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Winifred Carrick

mpjbrennan

The WW1 War Memorial at Haydon Bridge, Northumberland, lists "Winifred Carrick - Nurse V.A.B." Can anyone enlighten me as to her contribution to the war effort and how she met her end?

Patrick

The WW1 War Memorial at Haydon Bridge, Northumberland, lists "Winifred Carrick - Nurse V.A.B." Can anyone enlighten me as to her contribution to the war effort and how she met her end?

Patrick

Winifred Eliza Carrick came from a well-to-do family in Haydon. Her father was a director of a dairy company. In 1891 they had 5 servants living in. Born 1890 she must have died quite young - most likely of Spanish 'flu.

Should it not read V.A.D?

Jon

Probably, as the memorial names would have been drawn up locally, a misunderstanding for Voluntary Aid Battalion (error).

Patrick

You didn't say what your interest was in Winifred Carrick.

My husband Ken and I live in Haydon Bridge

Some time ago Ken and I researched all the men (and woman) on the Haydon Bridge War Memorial who died during the Great War

If you send me your email address I will send you the newspaper account of the death of Winifred Carrick.

Regards

Pam

Patrick

You didn't say what your interest was in Winifred Carrick.

My husband Ken and I live in Haydon Bridge

Some time ago Ken and I researched all the men (and woman) on the Haydon Bridge War Memorial who died during the Great War

If you send me your email address I will send you the newspaper account of the death of Winifred Carrick.

Regards

Pam

Hi Pam,

I came across her when I was researching her father, Thomas Carrick, who was the founder of the Carricks catering company in Newcastle. I would be very grateful for a copy of her obituary, and have sent you a pm with my email address.

Patrick

Here is a photo of the entry on the War Memorial. It is evident that the transcript I quoted from earlier was inaccurate as the inscription quite clearly states V.A.D.

Thanks to all for replies.

Patrick

post-6048-1220973118.jpg