Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusliers

James Brown

I had an email from a lady who was looking for information on John Duffy Royal Scots Fusliers. She said that the only information she had was a photo and that he had been KIA F&F. When I recieved the photo it had the number 374 on it. Did the usual searches and the four "374's" that came up on the SDGW had no connection with RSF. Residence - Lanarkshire/Glasgow area is the only other clue.

Has anyone seen this photo before?

Confirm RSF Uniform?

Long Shot - Identify the background?

Thanks

James

I think the "374" is the photographer's negative or other filing reference number for this image and doesn't refer to any of the men.

Chris

Hi James,

From CWGC database there appear to be four candidates - all private soldiers (3 x J Duffy's & one John Duffy):-

J Duffy 6th Bn RSF 24/10/1915 No.12009 Blauwepoort Farm Cemetery

J Duffy 2nd Bn RSF 23/04/1917 No.15515 Bootham Cemetery, Heninel

John Duffy 6th/7th Bn RSF Age 37 31/07/1917 No.19227 Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Husband of Grace Duffy, of 9, Cavendish Place, South Side, Glasgow)

J Duffy 1st Bn RSF 23/08/1918 No.40923 Warry Copse Cemetery, Courcelles-Le-Comte

Plus the soldiers in the photo all appear to be privates and have no markings on their uniforms eg. wound stripes, medal ribbons, etc, so in my ignorance I would assume this photo is of the early days of this unit.

Regards,

Alan.

I think the "374" is the photographer's negative or other filing reference number for this image and doesn't refer to any of the men.

Is this a common feature on Photographs of the that era?

Certainly there is no connection with the number on Photo and the individuals that came up on a search on SDGW.

Although I have come across Photographs where the number did refer to a serial number of an individual in the frame.

Thanks Chris

Hi James,

From CWGC database there appear to be four candidates - all private soldiers (3 x J Duffy's & one John Duffy):-

J Duffy 6th Bn RSF 24/10/1915 No.12009 Blauwepoort Farm Cemetery

J Duffy 2nd Bn RSF 23/04/1917 No.15515 Bootham Cemetery, Heninel

John Duffy 6th/7th Bn RSF Age 37 31/07/1917 No.19227 Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial (Husband of Grace Duffy, of 9, Cavendish Place, South Side, Glasgow)

J Duffy 1st Bn RSF 23/08/1918 No.40923 Warry Copse Cemetery, Courcelles-Le-Comte

Plus the soldiers in the photo all appear to be privates and have no markings on their uniforms eg. wound stripes, medal ribbons, etc, so in my ignorance I would assume this photo is of the early days of this unit.

Regards,

Alan.

Hi Alan

I looked up the 4 individuals on SDGW and have passed on this info. I also did a search on the number and came up with 4 men. But alas they had no connection with Glasgow/Lanark.

Thanks again Pals

Regards

James