Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Willaim Fishwick - which is the correct MIC?

rozalia

Helping a friend put together her husbands family tree. His GG/F was James William Fishwick 1887 - 1959, born in Barnoldswick (then Yorkshire) and lived in the Salterforth/Thornton areas of Yorkshire, working as a cotton weaver. His 1908 marriage was registered in Skipton + birth of children.

He served in WW1 and family rumour was that he was a POW around Nov 1915 (no trace on 'behind barbed wire' database). His regiment and role is unknown.

On the MIC via Ancestry there could be 2 possible James William Fishwicks:

-Royal Field Artillery reg no 62850

-RAVC - Royal Fusiliers reg no 6423/GS69148

3rd JW Fishwick of M/C Reg in the MIC died in 1917

As I am inexperienced in researching military matters I would be very greatful for any input from forum members. Am I on the right track with either of these two?

Many Thanks

Roz

Hi Roz, welcome to the form,

You shouldn't discount the James Fishwick's that are listed with the MICs online at the NA, I counted 12 including the ones that you've listed. Does your friend have any old photos, documents etc which may throw some light on which units James may have served with. Also it may be worth tracking down the AVL (Absent Voters List) if it still exists for the areas you mention, local archives/record offices should be able to point you in the right direction, local papers of the time are also a good source for finding the elusive regiment.

At least 2 James Fishwick's died during the war, I have also found a Pte Roland Fishwick, 1/6th Duke of Wellington Rgt, who was a resident of Barnoldswick.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment, once we've found his regiment it will be easier to move on...beware though this place can become addictive

cheers, Jon

Hi Roz, welcome to the form,

You shouldn't discount the James Fishwick's that are listed with the MICs online at the NA, I counted 12 including the ones that you've listed. Does your friend have any old photos, documents etc which may throw some light on which units James may have served with. Also it may be worth tracking down the AVL (Absent Voters List) if it still exists for the areas you mention, local archives/record offices should be able to point you in the right direction, local papers of the time are also a good source for finding the elusive regiment.

At least 2 James Fishwick's died during the war, I have also found a Pte Roland Fishwick, 1/6th Duke of Wellington Rgt, who was a resident of Barnoldswick.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment, once we've found his regiment it will be easier to move on...beware though this place can become addictive

cheers, Jon

Jon - you mention another 10 James' Fishwicks on the National Archive lists - can I access this database/ or do I have to go via researchers?

Thaks

Roz

Rozalia

If you check the CWGC, the James W of the RAVC/Royal Fusiliers was also a casualty.

I am afraid that does not mean that the RFA James W is automatically your man. There at least three other potential candidates that are searchable at the NA simply under J Fishwick.

As Jon has advised, you really need some extra information to narrow the field eg any local newspaper reports?

Regards

Mel

Thanks to all who have replied - looks like I need to go to Skipton - (only 40 miles away) and do some more searching of newspapers etc. to get a bit more info about James W.

Sorry to get back on line again so soon but a few questions popped into my mind.

1) What would be on the medal card? - I've never seen a copy of one - it obviously would have regiment but would it have age?/address?/next of kin?

2) I've looked at the NA link (thanks Jon - not come across it before - it's really interesting) and I've listed out the J W Fishwicks (minus those we know were killed in action) which = 1 + 9 J Fishwicks = 10 in total. If you were betting men and prepared to spend money accessing the records which would you look at first?

Thanks

Roz

Hi Roz,

it's unlikely for MICs to have an address unless they were for officers who had to apply for their medals or soldiers who returned medals for adjustment. These cards contain regimental details such as name, rank, service number, regiment, they will also record any medal entitlement and in some cases when he arrived in a war zone.

Do you have access to ancestry.co.uk? MICs are also available there in full colour and if you're a member they're free, if you're not a member then it may be worth asking on the forum if someone could do the lookup for you. Having said that there is still no guarantee that we will be able to ID your man from the MICs alone.

Jon