Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Military Port of Richborough, Sandwich, Kent

Neil Clark

Guest Destroyerman

Terry, very many thanks for your prompt reply. Very gracious of you Sir. :thumbsup:

Your link gives me a great deal of information personnel wise, and enough detail to apply to all of the 1" high figures. The mention of RN Midshipmen is enlightening, given their rudimentary knowledge of navigation. (Pretty much like the three wise men and a star at this time of year).

You have given me much to reflect, as accuracy is paramount in building such an obscure vessel.

By the way, is there any definitive ensign that all three Train Ferries sailed under; and was there any flag "defacement" regarding Regiment?

Perhaps, if a suitable sub-thread is available, I could transpose the model blog to this website, should there be sufficient interest.

Meantime, may I wish you and the members of this fine site the Merriest of Christmases and Health and Happiness in the New Year.

Sandy. (matelot, but we cannot all be perfect).

• 7 years later...

I thought some people might be interested to see photographs showing how the vast New Wharf appeared once it was completed following the development of Richborough Port from 1916. The Royal Engineers built the New Wharf as part of Richborough Port for the loading of military supplies onto specially designed and built cross-Channel barges, prior to the development and use of specially designed and built cross-Channel train ferries, which also later operated from the Richborough Port train ferry terminal. The other photographs I have included are two more recent views looking northwards and southwards along the new Wharf, which I took after gaining permission to access the site. 

I have been researching the history and development of Richborough Port for a couple of years now and decided to write and self publish a book on the subject, which is titled 'Engineering Richborough'. I am presently working on writing another book on the subject of the development of Richborough Port, but concentrating more on the different innovations that were established there, along with the involvement of the many men and women, who all worked there from 1916. 

7098321F-3642-43B5-8D40-077A0B3FB64C_1_201_a.jpeg

FD790B79-762A-4F0C-84C4-EECA2F012F04_1_201_a.jpeg

7CD1F6ED-134A-424F-A57C-49B2DF297545_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Colv

Thank you Colin (I was at school in Sandwich).

Construction of facilities for the Cross-Channel Barge Service started in May 1916 and the work was practically complete by the end of December 1916. The river required extensive dredging and straightening and the low lying land there about needed draining and reclamation (using the spoil from the dredgers).

In addition to the cross-channel barge service, there was also the Ferries (2) and numerous slipways, busy fabricating barges - and a large railway marshalling yard. The tug and barge service transported large quantities of ammunition and other military supplies and the ferry service was particularly useful in transporting heavy equipment such as tanks, large artillery pieces, trucks and even aircraft. It helped relieve/bypass congestion at French channel ports.

Richborough, the world’s first purpose built RoRo port and intermodal terminal!…

MB

A08BA3EE-92B9-4C34-8C34-319AA3E83C3A.jpeg