Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berchtesgaden Memorial and Cemetery

AlanCurragh

I thought Pals might be interested in some photos taken in Berchtesgaden, in the far south-east of Germany. The town is of course best known for Hitler's Berghof and the Eagle's Nest, but has a wonderful Great War Memorial....

Alan

post-2705-1220547775.jpg

Magicrat

Thanks for sharing these, a friend of mine just visited the Eagles Nest and I think he missed this?

Regards,

Scottie.

In the arcade below the memorial, the men of the town who died

post-2705-1220548767.jpg

I must admit, I've never visited a German town cemetery before - along one wall of the cemetery were these fascinating and very poignant memorial stones - over 100 in all. I've attached photos of 6 below.

Does anyone know if such stones are to be found in many cemeteries, especially with photographs embedded?

post-2705-1220548990.jpg

Finally, three friends who appear to have died on the same day and are now commemorated together

Scotty - it is a truly beautiful and historic area - I hope your friend enjoyed their trip

Alan

post-2705-1220550135.jpg

Indeed, very moving – thank you, Alan, for posting these poignant photos. The letter-cutting of the large memorial and the individual plaques is especially beautiful. Several of the latter begin 'In Christian remembrance of ...', and one can't help thinking that these obviously decent people did not deserve the neighbour they had foisted upon them.