Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt F.E HILLEBRANDT (RFC) Buried Ilford, Essex

Neil Clark

I was wondering if anyone near to Ilford in Essex could kindly provide a photograph of this man's grave -

Name: HILLEBRANT, FREDERICK EDMUND

Initials: F E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 5th Wing

Secondary Regiment: General List

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 22/03/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 2055.

Cemetery: ILFORD CEMETERY

I came across his name when writing a history of WYE airfield near Ashford. He was killed in an aircraft accident at WYE where his pilot was awarded the George Cross -

Lieutenant Oliver Campbell BRYSON, GC, MC, DFC & Bar, RAF

Born: 18 August 1896.

Educated: Bromsgrove School

Date of George Cross Action: 15 March 1917

Place of GC Action: Wye Aeorodrome, Kent

Age on GC Action: 21 years

Died: 27 March 1977

London Gazette: 11 January 1918

Citation –

"The KING was pleased, at Buckingham Palace, on Wednesday, the 9th instant, to present to Captain Oliver Campbell Bryson, Flight Commander, Royal Flying Corps, the Albert Medal, which was awarded by His Majesty in recognition of his gallantry in endeavouring to save life in March last. The circumstances are as follows: —

On the 15th March, 1917, Captain (then Lieutenant, Bryson, with Second Lieutenant Hillebrandt as passenger, was piloting an aeroplane at Wye Aerodrome when, owing to a sideslip, the machine crashed to the ground and burst into flames. On disentangling himself from the burning wreckage Captain Bryson at once went back into the flames, dragged Lieutenant Hillebrandt from the machine, and notwithstanding his own injuries, which were undoubtedly aggravated by his gallant efforts to rescue his brother officer from the fire, endeavoured to extinguish the fire on Lieutenant Hillebrandt's clothing. Lieutenant Hillebrandt succumbed to his injuries a few; days later."

Neil

I work nearby to this cemetery and am hoping to visit it in the next two weeks or so, dependant on work! I have to take some pictures for a chap from Australia for a WW2 casualty, and also for the RE Bomb Disposal website as well, so I have added yours to the list

I presume there is no rush, just in case work happens to get in the way (again!)

Regards

Andy

Andy,

That is a very kind offer and one which I would gladly take you up on. My email is - clarkneil(at)hotmail.co.uk.

If ever I can reciprocate, then don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Neil

Andy,

That is a very kind offer and one which I would gladly take you up on. My email is - clarkneil(at)hotmail.co.uk.

If ever I can reciprocate, then don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Neil

Neil

Email sent

Andy

Andy,

Fantastic Photos I can't thank you enough.....

If ever I can pay back the compliment don't hesitate to ask....

Neil

• 4 years later...
Guest hillebrandt

I came across a link to this thread when researching information on my distant cousin 2/Lt Hillebrandt.

From memorial entries I have seen that he served in Egypt and Salonika from where he was invalided back to Britain, presumably in 1916. By deduction I have him in 17 Squadron RFC during this service. I guess that, following recuperation, he resumed his service in RFC at Wye.

I have tried to find his service record via the National Archives online facility but have drawn a blank. Also, I have not been able to dig out any information regarding the actions of 17 Squadron during WW1. Could these records have been lost/destroyed or am I not looking in the right place?

Any suggestions to further my research would be much appreciated.

David