Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 wire cutters

findabetterole

Hello all,

The following are listed in Priced Vocabulary of Stores for 1920

Cutters, Wire, Folding. LofC 20646 (which must make it 1918) 9s 0d each

Cutters, Wire, Large. LofC 16824 (late 1914) 18" Long, compound levers. £1 11s 9d each

Cutters, Wire, Small.

Mark I No LofC listed for this 12" Long, flat plier jaws. 9s 6d each

Mark III 9 1/2" Long 9s 6d each LofC's 8255, 12061, 13522, 16824

Mark IV 9 1/2" Long 4s 11d each LofC's 8255, 12061, 13522, 16824

Mark V 11" Long Compound Levers 8s 6d each LofC's 16267, 16824, 20646

Cutters, Wire, Special. LofC 16980 7 3/4" 4s 11d each

The usual caution re the LofC dates applies here obviously. They lagged way behind the actual intro date in most cases.

Anyone else got anything further?

Regards

Tocemma

Torrey.. do you have a pic or two of the US ww1 wire cutters? As I mentioned, to my knowledge there was not a general issue pair existing during the Great War period. I would most gratefull for any update in order to fill, what is.. an unpleasant void within my files.

What would be the reason that only post ww1.. 1930's to post ww2 dated items are only encountered? Were the ww1 issues as rare as hens teeth?

Bob G... those same folding wire cutters were still on general issue scale at the time of my leaving the RM's = early 90's

Seph

Hello, Seph -

Unfortunately my daughter, who is away at school, has the camera and so I can not take photos of the examples of American wire cutters from my collection. However, if you look opposite page 229 of AMERICA'S MUNITIONS you will see photos. The example in the middle is the 14-inch model with tape-wrapped grips. [The caption should read "French-style," because every example that I have seen is American-manufactured. The markings on the two that I have are "US- DCHS. CO - 1918" in very clear raised cast letters.] Pages 230-231 of AMERICA'S MUNITIONS covers the original M-1910 and Kraeuter model of the M-1910 pliers-type; it states that 5,000 of the Kraeuter model were shipped to France and were "not the right article" for cutting the German wire.

Regards, Torrey

Thank you for that update Torrey. The book you mention is not known to me, so could I ask you to please post the details = ISBN, author, publisher, date of publication, price, etc?

Seph

Torrey.. are any of the items illustrated below, those you mention from the book? I have accessed the website of the manufacturer: Kraeuter.. for the Great War period. These and other side cutter pliers are the only types that they manufactured.

Its actually no small wonder that the comment of "not the right article for cutting German wire" was place in conection to these pliers. Its like asking for bolt-croppers, and receiving paper scissors!

Anyway, if you could confim please as to what the items you mention are.. we can then carry out a little more indepth research.

Seph

post-18081-1220732095.jpg

post-18081-1220732116.jpg

post-18081-1220732134.jpg

Hello, Seph -

The book is AMERICA'S MUNITIONS, 1917-1918: REPORT OF BENEDICT CROWELL (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1919). Since it is a very scarce book that is much in demand by WWI collectors, your best bet might be interlibrary loan.

The M-1910 Kraeuter wire cutters are not shown in your photos. They look exactly like a well-made pair of pliers, but have the raised cast markings "U.S." and "KRAEUTER & CO. INC." and underneath, "NEWARK, N.J." AND "PATENT PEND." I suspect that almost everyone assumes that they were simply pliers and do not know that they were America's first issue of wire cutters for the AEF.

Regards, Torrey

Hello, Seph -

The book is AMERICA'S MUNITIONS, 1917-1918: REPORT OF BENEDICT CROWELL (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1919). Since it is a very scarce book that is much in demand by WWI collectors, your best bet might be interlibrary loan.

Regards, Torrey

Hmm... well out of print! :blink: I'll get in touch with my local library and see if they can locate a copy for loan.

Hello, Seph -

The M-1910 Kraeuter wire cutters are not shown in your photos. They look exactly like a well-made pair of pliers, but have the raised cast markings "U.S." and "KRAEUTER & CO. INC." and underneath, "NEWARK, N.J." AND "PATENT PEND." I suspect that almost everyone assumes that they were simply pliers and do not know that they were America's first issue of wire cutters for the AEF.

Regards, Torrey

I lifted just the three pics as examples from the many they illustrate. Are the ones you refer to what are called in the USA.. slipjoint? If thats so', I'll search back through the firms extensive illustrated listing.

Seph

Hmm... well out of print! :blink: I'll get in touch with my local library and see if they can locate a copy for loan.

I lifted just the three pics as examples from the many they illustrate. Are the ones you refer to what are called in the USA.. slipjoint? If thats so', I'll search back through the firms extensive illustrated listing.

Seph

Seph - See ebay listing #130238046786 (which closed on July 20th; they are no longer for sale) for an example of the U.S. M-1910 wire cutters, which were marked only with "U.S." The Kraeuter-manufactured wire cutters were similar, except for the markings. Regards, Torrey

Seph

Any chance of an answer to the original question?

Gunner Bailey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi is this picture any good to you ?

Men of the 4th Battalion The Worcestershire Regiment with wire cutters fixed to their rifles,pause on their way to the front.(1stww in photographs IWM R.Holmes)

all the best fae dundee

Hello, Seph -

Regards, Torrey

Torrey:

As Baldrick once said (or held a sign saying) GET IT HERE

sent a pm to Seph

• 10 years later...

This I have been told by my dad is a prototype designed by my great grandfather Arthur Brown to be used on a rifle in the First World War. It has C.H.PUGH LLP Birmingham England on the side.

I don’t suppose anyone has any more info to confirm this?

F2B06C69-9F7B-4AED-A955-03D1DE6E5858.jpeg

• 5 years later...
On 06/09/2008 at 01:44, tocemma said:

Hello all,

The following are listed in Priced Vocabulary of Stores for 1920

Cutters, Wire, Folding. LofC 20646 (which must make it 1918) 9s 0d each

Cutters, Wire, Large. LofC 16824 (late 1914) 18" Long, compound levers. £1 11s 9d each

Cutters, Wire, Small.

Mark I No LofC listed for this 12" Long, flat plier jaws. 9s 6d each

Mark III 9 1/2" Long 9s 6d each LofC's 8255, 12061, 13522, 16824

Mark IV 9 1/2" Long 4s 11d each LofC's 8255, 12061, 13522, 16824

Mark V 11" Long Compound Levers 8s 6d each LofC's 16267, 16824, 20646

Cutters, Wire, Special. LofC 16980 7 3/4" 4s 11d each

The usual caution re the LofC dates applies here obviously. They lagged way behind the actual intro date in most cases.

Anyone else got anything further?

Regards

Tocemma

@tocemma i dont suppose you have the LoCs for the MkIII, MkIV and the special wire cutters do you? I have no idea where i can look to actually find a readable copy of them. I am trying to piece something together in my head

tanks

Ed