The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Omer

fitzee

Greetings again

Does anyone have any photos of St.Omer aerodrome from June 1918 or can tell me what squadrons and aircraft types were stationed there

Thanks in Advance

Fitzee

Fitzee, Throughout the Great War St Omer was used as the first point of call for new squadrons when they were sent from England to the Western Front. From St Omer they moved to their allotted aerodromes, usually after a few weeks but sometimes within days. There were many instances though where some squadrons returned to St Omer and stayed there for weeks or months (particularly in the period you are interested in). Again, it was not the norm for squadrons to operate out of the St Omer aerodrome though once again there were exceptions and victories have been claimed by pilots based there.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is that the following squadrons were stationed at St Omer during June 1918 (at most times during the war there would normaally only be a couple):

No: 4 - From 16/04/18 to 18/09/18 - RE8

No: 29 - From 22/04/18 to 01/08/18 - SE5a

No: 54 - From 01/06/18 to 11/06/18 - Camel

No: 85 - From 11/06/18 to 13/08/18 - SE5a (straight out from England)

Regards

Steve

Fitzee,

There is a very good aerial photo of St Omer (taken in June 1918) that is included in Peter Dye's article on "The Royal Flying Corps & Royal Air Force at St Omer", Cross and Cockade Journal VOL 35 (2004) No: 2. My copy is very poor so probably not worth trying to take a photo of it. Perhaps someone else will have a clearer copy or you could always purchase a back copy of the journal from C&C.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks so much for the info,much appreciated.

I,ve read of a "pilot's pool" at St.Omer for replacement pilots waiting to be assigned to squadrons. I figured it was a much larger facility than most aerodromes of the time.

Anyone know if there's anything left of the base today?

Fitzee

Fitzee,

The aerodrome was set up on the site of the town racecourse, in a triangle bordered by the roads D198E and D928 (and sections of it can be seen in the aerial photographs of the day). The old racecourse is still there, as is a new one to the west of it and the current St Omer aerodrome located a few hundred metres further the west. In looking closely at current aerial photos, there do not seem to be any of the old buildings left. The ground is either clear or redeveloped. If you send me a PM I'll send you photos that show "Then" and "Now" images of the same area.

Steve