Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sopwith Production in Lewes, East Sussex

Tom Morgan

Can anyone tell me if there was any kind of factory or workshop or whatever making or assembling Sopwith aircraft near Lewes, East Sussex, during WW1?

If there was was, does anyone have any basic info about it?

I'd be grateful for any details.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'll see if I might have something as its local but I do know in eastbourne / polegate area (which you may already know) there were airships and local aircraft manufacturers where pilots trained for ww1. No mention of sopwith here though.

Ryan

Hi,

A friend of an ex-girlfriend, knowing my interest in military things, showed me a wonderful photo album compiled by his father. He was an Officer's Servant in the RNAS, and the album included over 100 photos of aircrew (including both Samsons and gallantry medal recipients), casualties, aircraft and bases. I distinctly recall eastbourne as being mentioned in several of the photos as the location where the frame was shot. A number of the aircraft were being reapired when the shots were taken, so this backs up Ryan's comments.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Tom,

I have looked in my local history books, nothing in these credits Lewes with any aircraft manufacture.

There was also a RNAS seaplane base at Newhaven

Bognor aswell as Eastbourne (RNAS St. Anthony's) is credited with production & training. If I find anything more I'll come back to you.

Ryan

Tom, the head office for Sopwith (at this time) was in Kingston-Upon-Thames.

What makes you think that there was aircraft production in the Lewes area (I'm sure, as Terry suggests, that parts were being made/assembled all over the country)...?