Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Today - Private William Henry Bowman, 3020, 51st Bttn

Fedelmar

Remembering Today - Private William Henry Bowman, 3020, 51st Bttn killed in action September 3rd 1916 at Mouquet Farm, Pozieres, France.

September 3rd, 2008

Dear Bill,

It is 92 years to the day since you were lost at Mouquet Farm. Time has marched on but you have not been forgotten. Your family still hold you dear and we are still looking for you.

Rest easy, wherever you lie. For when you hear the rumble of a farmer’s tractor, know that he works this land because you died to give him that privilege.

Your life was cut short at 19 and you never had the chance to love, to live, to hold your own children or to grow old. But your name will never be forgotten and long after we have lived and died, what you did will outlive us all.

In fond remembrance,

Your great niece and family.

Also in remembrance of Lieutenant Albert George Clifford, who lived not far from Bill and died at Mouquet Farm on the same day – and to the other 329 men from the 51st, 52nd and 49th battalions who fought and died on September 3rd 1916 at Mouquet Farm.

May the men of the 13th Brigade AIF who were lost on the 3rd of September rest in peace. Also to the men of the Canadian & British units who died in the attemps on Mouquet Farm in the period before it's capture.

Remembering Today - Private William Henry Bowman, 3020, 51st Bttn killed in action September 3rd 1916 at Mouquet Farm, Pozieres, France.

Your life was cut short at 19 and you never had the chance to love, to live, to hold your own children or to grow old. But your name will never be forgotten and long after we have lived and died, what you did will outlive us all.

Beautifully written and very moving. I'm sure he's looking down upon you and yours with a heart bursting with pride and love. Cheers, Bill

Rest in Peace Bill, Albert and their mates

I was lucky enough to be on holidays in Sydney on the anniversary of Bill's death (which was why Sandra very kindly posted on my behalf) and as it was Legacy Week here in Australia, a ceremony was held at the Cenotaph on that very day in Martin Place. I bought a bunch of white lilies for Bill and the custodian of the Cenotaph very kindly placed them up on the plinth at the feet of the soldier. It was really very moving. Thanks for all your kind words.

Cheers, Elle