Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC check look up

The Guardroom

Hi,

Is anyone able to help confirm if a Richard Wright has a MIC. I am told he was originally in the 29th Middx, which I have found on the LLT as:

29th, 30th and 31st (Works) Battalions

Formed at Mill Hill in June 1916 (29th); Crawley in July 1916 (30th) and Mill Hill in September 1916 (31st). In April 1917, 29th transferred to Labour Corps, as 5th Labour Bn. All remained in UK throughout the war.

Did this later turn into the 5th Labour Battalion.

I am not sure of his other names which may help on a census check, but he was born 17 May 1889 and died 4 Sept 1938, coming from Sittingbourne / Chatham in Kent.

Many thanks.

Alan

Hi Alan,

i've found a Richard Wright, Middlesex Regiment, Labour Corps 878, 504899, but there are a few Richard Wright's in the Middx Reg MIC. If you think it's the right one let me know and I'll upload the image.

Liz

As I understand it he would only have an MIC if he served overseas.

As all these battalions remained in the UK, he did not qualify.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Liz, Yes that does sound like him, with the transfer to the labour corps later on.

I am hoping that the MIC will actually state which Middx Bn he was in and confirm that this Richard Wright was in the 29th. Many thanks for uploading.

Martin,

Understand that if he remained in UK no MIC, but found that although info states he was in a UK Bn, he may have gone overseas laterhence MIC check.

Hoping the MIC will say Richard Wright 29th Bn Middx Regt as the first recorded regt.

Can hopefully say this is him and that he did serve over seas later on.

Rgds,

Alan

The MIC would only state Middlesex Rgt if he actually went overseas with them, if he went overseas with the Labour Corps then it would only state this unit and not any previous units he may have served with,

Jon

Alan

The MIC will only normally record the units served with when overseas in the theatre of war.

Regards

Mel

Jon

Snap! :D

Thanks Liz,

Not really showing what I had hoped, but as the other guys have said, I was perhaps clutching at straws.

See that there is an address on the back, but can't read it, can you confirm it please.

This may be the deciding factor.

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan

I'm not very good at this 'uploading' stuff, so apologies for poor image.

The address is 1 Kent Terrace, Southey Road, S. Tottenham N15

Do you know how old he is? There are a few Richard Wright Pension records on Ancestry.

Liz

Alan

If he was in the 29th Middlesex and then in the 5th Labour Battalion he would have a Labour Corps number between 149141 and 162140.

The 5th Battalion was a Home Service unit and if he remained in the UK, as has been mentioned, he woud not have a Medal Roll entry.

A LC number of 504899 would be a man transferred in early 1918 - highly unlikely for a man in 29th Middlesex

Ivor

Do you know how old he is? There are a few Richard Wright Pension records on Ancestry.

Liz

Liz he was born on 17 May 1889 so between the war years would have been 25 in 1914 to 30 in 1919.

Died aged 49 only in 1938.

Rgds,

Alan