Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Arthur George Sherwin E Yorks Ist Batallion

Guest Sherwin

This is the only family member that I have not traced during or after the war. 6 were killed and several others lived out their lives in great suffering. I believe I have tried all the std routes but two elements might just help. Arthur George was reported as injured in a Bradford paper on 27.04.1917

1. His medal card for Victory and British says Retd(1743 K.R.) 7883/Adt. If I have understood correctly the last bit does not mean anything . Assuming his medals were returned I cannot understand the relevance of KR 1743 which seems to be about clothing?

2. Does his Regt number give a clue as to when he joined the Regt?

His medal Roll indicates he was transferred to Class 'Z' A. R so it seems he was not discharged as a result of any injuries.

I appreciate answers to my two questions might not immediately help but one never knows - thanks.

"He appeared on the 1919 missing voters list in Keighley"

Roy Sherwin

KR 1743: "Medals which at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed will be sent to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard, (Medal Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up."

Regards Mark

This is the only family member that I have not traced during or after the war. 6 were killed and several others lived out their lives in great suffering. I believe I have tried all the std routes but two elements might just help. Arthur George was reported as injured in a Bradford paper on 27.04.1917

1. His medal card for Victory and British says Retd(1743 K.R.) 7883/Adt. If I have understood correctly the last bit does not mean anything . Assuming his medals were returned I cannot understand the relevance of KR 1743 which seems to be about clothing?

2. Does his Regt number give a clue as to when he joined the Regt?

His medal Roll indicates he was transferred to Class 'Z' A. R so it seems he was not discharged as a result of any injuries.

I appreciate answers to my two questions might not immediately help but one never knows - thanks.

"He appeared on the 1919 missing voters list in Keighley"

Roy Sherwin

Roy,

My own gt-grandfather had a similar number in the EYR (25697) and i have started to track a whole batch of these 25000 and 26000's. In general the 25000's came from the Hull area and the 26000's from west yorkshire. Most of the ones i have come across signed up in december 1915 and were then mobilised in june 1916, mostly into the 14 EYR for training near newcastle, then this was disbanded and they became the 90th TRB on 1st sept 1916, staying at Blyth. They were then sent off to their new regiments (my own gt-grandfather went to the 24 northumberland fusiliers) arriving in france around 1st november 1916 and joining the front line later that month, the earliest KIA for that group occuring in november 1916.

regards

Michael

His medal card for Victory and British says Retd(1743 K.R.) 7883/Adt. If I have understood correctly the last bit does not mean anything . Assuming his medals were returned I cannot understand the relevance of KR 1743 which seems to be about clothing?

KR 1743: "Medals which at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed will be sent to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard, (Medal Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up.

Hi Roy, welcome to the forum,

Mark is correct with the KR 1743, however the cryptic code does continue with the 7883/Adt bit. The medals were returned for 'adjustment', although I'm not sure about the relevance of the numbers though. This would suggest that the medals had an engraving error and by the time the correction had taken place the recipient was no longer at the given address,

Jon