The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arm Badge

auchonvillerssomme

Could any tell me what this arm badge is please? He is a member of the Friends Ambulance Unit. The armband is the usual red cross.

Mick

He's wearing what appears to be a military uniform. Possibly an officers tunic? With regard to the badge, I have seen bandsman wearing this shape badge. The boots seem to be British type worn again by officers... A medic in the background too...

I'd say he was a Junior British Army Officer.

It is taken from a group photo of the Friends Ambulance Unit dated 1915. None are serving officers or men, all are dressed the same in tunics and ties, although some are wearing shorts. This man is Andrew Issac Messer. His brother, Walter was killed whilst serving with the FAU.

Highwood, I hadn't seen it as BUS, thats interesting and will be my next track. I thought it was a French or Belgian badge, hunting horn and red cross.

Mick

As the Friends Ambulance Unit was not strictly speaking a military unit being composed of Quaker volunteers I am surprised to see that they wore a military type of uniform. I quess that the winged wheel, if that is what it is, could be a type of trade badge indicating a driver. I imagine that there were probably others such as stretcher bearer.

Simon.

Don’t know if it’s Friends Ambulance, but I’m sure you’re info is correct.

At the risk of making a complete fool of myself .

If he was, then his uniform could be self purchase and make sense, hence the officer look.

The badge looks like a ships wheel with what could be RUG or PUG, I don’t think its BUS but I do need specks. As for Belgium, don’t think it’s the hunting horn and no wings.

Cord shoulder straps and no visible rank also suggest to me non military.

Pity there wasn’t a larger group.

Would the Friends Ambulance have used trade badges and if they did where could we find out?

or has he sewn it on just to confuse future generations.

There is a larger group, they are non-military, I know who they are, Friends Ambulance Unit, and when the picture was taken, 1915. This man was a chauffeur with the FAU and BRCS.

Mick

So to my original question, can anyone tell me what the badge is?

Mick

• 2 years later...

As to uniforms, the Friends Ambulance Unit mermbers wore a military-style uniform, with the only distinguishing feature being a red-cross armband. Although they were essentially non-military and not part of any army, they were advised that if they wore only civilian clothes they would experience difficulty in being accepted by both military personnel and the civilian population in France or Belgium. The FAU compromise was therefore to wear a plain military uniform as obtained from the traditional suppliers to military officers.

As to adornments, the red-cross armband was an obvious international symbol for their role. I have never previously come across any badges worn by the FAU. The badge in question was possibly home made, worn idiosyncratically by Andrew Messer. As a non-hierarchical, non-authoritarian organisation, the FAU would have had no means of "disciplining" a member for such an "irregularity". Possibly it was intended to signify his role as chauffeur.