Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Hood, CQMS, B Company, 1/6 Seaforth

rgalley

I attach a portrait (by Donald Lindley of Bedford), of one James Hood, Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS), B Company, 1/6 Seaforth.

The message on the reverse of the card reads:

"Leaving today to join Expeditionary Force.

James Hood

Bedford,

1 May 1915"

I have it on the best of authority that the Morayshire Roll of Honours says that No.291 CQMS James Hood was born in Garmouth on 14 Oct 1895 and joined at Fochabers in May 1908. He served in France and apparently survived the war. He was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal. His employment is given as 'marine insurance clerk'.

The sharp-eyed will have noticed that the dates of birth and enlistment would have made him only 12 years of age at the time he joined-up. It has been suggested that if this is true he might have joined as a piper, or drummer. It would also mean that he was only 19 when the photograph was taken which makes him reasonably young to be CQMS.

I have heard the term 'Boy Soldier', but I do not know what minimum age would have been associated with this.

Can anyone offer more information / insights either on the minimum age of a boy soldier, or James Hood himself?

There are some papers on Ancestry relating to a James HOOD reg. no 291 - if this is the chap you are interested in

would you be interested in having them emailed..... please pm with your email address and i will do my best to help.

post-8059-1220196845.jpg

Susan.

Email sent

Regards,

Susan