Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Capt. E Paul receive the Croix de Guerre?

Orson

Hi

I am hoping that someone will be able to help with this query.

I have heard that Capt. E Paul, MC, of the 1st Som L I., was awarded the Croix de Guerre and has been described as one of the most decorated men in the battalion. As this has come, third hand, from the family, and I will be visiting them soon, I would like to know if this can be confirmed.

Thanks

Orson

Presumably you are referring to:

Medal card of Paul, Edgar

Corps Regiment No Rank

Somerset Light Infantry 4812 Quarter Master Serjeant

Somerset Light Infantry 4812 Warrant Officer Class 2

Somerset Light Infantry Captain

He seems to have been awarded DCM, MC and Bar.

M.C. (as a Warrant Officer):

LG 25-8-1915

Serjeant-Major Edgar Paul, 1st Battalion, Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry).

For conspicuous ability and gallantry throughout the period of the campaign. Has rendered very valuable service at all times in the faring line, especially near Pilkem on 6th July, 1915, when he organised carrying and working parties and supervised them under heavy shell fire.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...ct=Edgar%20Paul

MID, LG 1-1-1916:

SOMERSET LIGHT INFANTRY.

Fleming, Captain G.

Sutton, Captain W. M.

Harington, Lieutenant (temporary Captain) A. J.

Armstrong, Temporary Second Lieutenant H. L.

Neville, Second Lieutenant G. H.

Paul, No. 4812 Serjeant-Major E.

Wilson, No. 4552 Company Serjeant-Major J. A.

Bond, No. 8874 Serjeant (Acting Company Serjeant-Major) A. H.

Hopkins, No. 6480 Lance-Corporal J.

Greenwood, No. 5495 Private J.

Hayes, No. 8949 Bugler R. S.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...&exact=4812

DCM, LG 22-9-1916

4812 E./S./M. E. Paul, Som. L.I. {1st battaion per DCM medal card}

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He took charge of a party of fifty men, who were carrying R.E. stores to the captured enemy line. When hung up by heavy machine-gun fire he skilfully got his party through by a circuitous route. He then returned with most valuable information as to the state of

affairs. Throughout the rest of the day he did fine work.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...exact=E.%20Paul

Commission, LG 7-10-1916:

War Office,

7th October, 1916.

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned Wt. and N.C.O.s. to be 2nd Lts. for Service in the Field:

INFANTRY.

Som. L.I. - Serjt.-Maj. Edgar Paul. 29th Aug. 1916.

Appointment as Adjutant, LG 11-11-1916

Som. L.I.—2nd Lt. E. Paul to be Adjt., and to be temp. Lt. whilst so empld. 29th Aug. 1916.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...exact=E.%20Paul

LG 10-12-1917

War Office,

10th December, 1917.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

YEOMANRY.

2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) E. Paul, M.C. (Som. L.I.), to be actg. Capt. whilst comdg. a Co. 4th Nov. 1917

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a....%20Paul,%20M.C.

LG 29-4-1918

The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be Lts.:

INFANTRY.

Som. L.I.

S. C. G. Young. 16th Feb. 1918.

E. Paul, M.C. 28th Feb. 1918.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...act=Paul,%20M.C.

LG 2-8-1918

War Office,

2nd August, 1918.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

YEOMANRY.

2nd Lt. E. Paul, M.C., Som. L.I., relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt. on ceasing to command a Co. 19th Apr. 1918.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a....%20Paul,%20M.C.

LG 1-2-1919

Bar to MC

Lt. (A./Capt.) Edgar Paul, M.C., D.C.M., 1st Bn., Som. L.I.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty near Etaing, on September 2nd 1918. When the left of the attack was held, he led a small party up a trench to tackle the machine guns which were causing the trouble. When he got near them, he left the trench in an endeavour to rush them, but was severely wounded. He then got a Lewis gun up, which dispersed the enemy. His determination and endurance set a fine example to his men.

(M.C. gazetted 25th August, 1915.)

I can't yet find his Croix de Guerre, though!

Steve.

Front of medal card:

post-6536-1220194509.jpg

and back:

post-6536-1220194572.jpg

and CWGC:

Name: PAUL

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Somerset Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st. Bn.

Date of Death: 10/09/1918

Awards: M C

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 15.

Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

(Resting in the same cemetery as my Great-Uncle.....)

Steve.

Orson,

Not definitive - but highly likely to be accurate:

Wyrall's History of the Somerset Light Infantry in Appendix B shows 2nd Lt E Paul as having been awarded the French Croix de Guerre. (p400 if you get hold of the history). No date or other details given unfortunately.

Regards,

Brendon.

Steve

Words utterly fail me!

I knew about the MC and believe I knew when it was awarded. I had thought there was a bar but had no concrete proof! It seems that my ability to find my way around the LG website needs to be improved rapidly.

I have a copy of a piece of paper, that the family wrote, with extracts from the War Diary. It has the date 17th February, 1917 and claims that Lt. E Paul was awarded the Croix de Guerre by General Nivelle. It is this that is making me look for the concrete proof.

Again, I cannot thank you enough.

Believe you me, I owe you one or two on this one!

Orson

Thanks for this. I hadn't thought of checking there.

Mentioning the LG is like rubbing the magic lantern – Stebie, the genie of the Gazette, appears as if by magic bearing treasures in profusion. Great stuff, as ever, Steve. :D

Brendon

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the book.

I have just checked the family's paper again and he was awarded the medal on the 13th February and presented with it on the 17th.

Regards

Orson

It has the date 17th February, 1917 and claims that Lt. E Paul was awarded the Croix de Guerre by General Nivelle.

Nivelle was French C-in-C between December 1916 and May 1917, so the date is in the right range for a CdG with Bronze Palm, for a citation at Army level, which would have been signed by Nivelle.

Here is the citation for a CdG with Bronze Palm to one of 'my' RN siege gunners, Sub-Lt Edgar Donovan RNVR, from the same period and signed by Nivelle just a week before he was sacked.

post-11021-1220196096.jpg

Just give my regards to Great-Uncle Herbert Beeby (below) when you pass by Aubigny cemetery, and we're square....

Steve Beeby.

Mick

Thanks for the photo of your citation. I'll be interested to see if the family have one.

Steve

I surely will give my regards when I next go there.

Orson

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I am not really a Great War buff but I am researching Edgar Paul as he is my Great Grandfather. Orson I think you may have already spoken to some of my family.

Edgar's Croix de Guerre is listed in the London Gazette 1st May 1917, though the 1st Batallion SLI war Diary shows he was awarded it on 17 February 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...mp;all=somerset

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dodger

Welcome to the GWF. You don't have to be a Great War buff here but it is a great place to learn about the War or find answers to the questions you may have.

Many thanks for the reference to the Gazette, it's a great help!

Orson

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys I wonder if I could draw on your experience. As Steve has highlighted Edgar Paul was awarded the MC as a Warrant Officer (London Gazette 15-8-1915). He was awarded a Bar to the MC for the action in which he was mortally wounded on 2 Sept 1918 (London Gazette 1-2-1919).

I have now found a Court Circular on Times Online dated 2 June 1916 which says that the King conferred the Military Cross on Sergeant Major Edgar Paul of the Somerset Light Infantry on 1 June 1916.

Would it have taken almost a year for his first MC to be conferred or could this be a another bar to his first MC? I have found no corresponding entry in the London Gazette around 1 June 1916 and there is nothing in the Battalion War Diary.

I have a photo of his MC and it only has one Bar on the ribbon. However I had previously read an entry in Arthur Cook’s ‘A Soldiers War’ speaking of Edgar’s death which reads:

Sept. 2.1918 ………..While trying to straighten out this matter our Adjutant, Capt E. Paul was badly wounded and eventually died. A valuable officer was lost, Capt Paul, known to the majority of us as “Edgar” was the senior Cr Sgt of my Company “A” on outbreak of war. He became RSM when our RSM (Smith) was missing from the first action on the 26th August 1914. This rank he held until the death of our Adjutant Capt CC Ford, on the 1st of July 1916 when “Edgar” was promoted to the commission rank and appointed Adjutant. It was a very wise choice of Col Majendie who also became Commanding Officer from that date, vice Col Thicknesse killed. …………………….He was already the proud possessor of the M.C. and Bar, and the DCM.

I had previously thought that Arthur Cook had been mistaken when he used the words ‘already the proud possessor of the M.C. and Bar,’ possibly mistaking the Bar for the one he was awarded after his death but now I’m not sure.

Is it possible Edgar was awarded two bars to the MC or is it more likely that the Times entry is a mistake or 10 months late!? How could I investigate this further?