The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sopwith Triplane

fitzee

A couple of pictures I thought I would post. In 1967 The Canadian Aviation Museum flew selected World War 1 Aircraft from the collection

My father was chosen to fly the "Black Maria" replica[He's the one standing up in the cockpit pointing] Sandwiched in his logbook for that year between hundreds of hours in T33's is three flights in Sopwith Triplane N5492 RNAS totaling just under one hour!

Fitzee

post-11336-1220140706.jpg

post-11336-1220140734.jpg

Hi Bob

Interesting pictures!

1967 was very early in terms of the preservation and replica movement that we have today, so this Triplane must have been a pioneering effort. Is it still extant?

In fact, Collishaw would have been still alive at the time. Was he invited along?

Adrian

Adrian

This Triplane was built in 1966 by Carl Swanson,an American. It was purchased by the Museum the same year. It is still in the collection however I don't think they fly it anymore

I believe the airshow was commemorating the 4Oth[?] anniversary of the RCAF. I am sure there were many WW1 pilots in attendance and I wouldn't be surprised if Collishaw was there. Somewhere I have a newspaper article on the event. I seem to remember my Grandfather [RNAS pilot WW1]came from Toronto to see his son-in-law fly the Tripe. If you can imagine the memories it would have brought back for him,just the smell of castor oil!

The Neiuport 17 replica [b1566] crashed the day of the event. The pilot survived but the machine wasn't so lucky. My father is the guy in the background on the left with his hand on his hip.

Bob

Another shot of the Tripe

post-11336-1220146974.jpg

post-11336-1220147097.jpg

Looking at an old American aviation magazine C 1960 it would seem that the people who built the Triplane replica also did a Thomas Morse Scout (I think for somebody who'd trained on one forty years ealier)

I am sure there were many WW1 pilots in attendance and I wouldn't be surprised if Collishaw was there.

Actually I believe his eyesight failed him in later years, so he may not have got to such events.

Hi Fitzee,

What was you Grandfathers name? My father also served in the RNAS and RAF in WWI and was from Toronto. They no doubt might have known each other.

Bill

Hi Bearpaw

My Grandfather's name was Bill Purvis. After the war he lived in Toronto his whole life and taught engineering at UofT

He passed away in 1980.

Fitzee

A chance visit to Sywell recently met with the astonishing sight of a "Fokker" triplane swooping across the airfield in a vivid blood red livery - apparently it was undergoing air-worthiness tests. It looked stunning!

One or two forum members were involved with that, from photos she looks fantastic

• 1 month later...
Quick adjustments to the photos to enhance the aircraft image

Thanks for that!

Fitzee