Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service numbers Middlesex Regiment

Guest lidzy

Hello All!

While researching the army record of my Great Grandfather William Crick (Alias Boyce - his service record hasn't survived ) - L/7443, 13th Battalion Middlesex Regiment, I have noticed the following:

His army number is that of a pre war regular - I know from a photgraph that he was in Burma with the Regiment sometime around 1907/8. Of the men with similar numbers I have found in SDITGW Middlesex Regiment printed edition, I have noticed that the place of enlistment is often given simply as "London", whereas for some enlistments the actual area of enlistment is given - Tottenham, Holloway, Hounslow etc. Some examples:

Bobbins, Harry Jarvis, Pte. L/6899, enlisted London, d. of w. 13/1/15

Boyce, William James, Pte. L/7443, enlisted London, d. of w. 22/9/17

Brown, Joseph Frederick, Pte. L/9391, enlisted London, k. in a. 23/8/14

Sullivan, Patrick, Pte. L/8256, enlisted London, k. in a. 7/11/14

or

Burke, John Andrew, Pte. L/7378, enlisted Hammersmith, k. in a. 8/9/14

Dare, Frederick, L/cpl. L/7636, enlisted Hounslow, k. in a. 24/9/17

Grover, Percy, Pte. L/7968, enlisted Dalston, k. in a. 25/9/15

Stephens, Charles Richard, Pte. L/7392, enlisted Hounslow, k. in a. 20/4/18

I have often wondered as to the reason - was it simply how detailed and accurate the person recording the enlistment was, or has it another significance? Anyone got any opinions/facts/informed guesses/theories???

ALSO: Are there any Middlesex Regiment buffs out there who have concrete evidence (army service records) of pre war enlistment dates and Army service numbers. I'd like to be able to put my man's number (L/7443) within a rough timeframe for when he originally joined up.

Thanks in advance,

Tony Simmons (I'm getting the hang of this posting lark now...)

Tony,

My great uncle was Sgt Nathan Arthur Green L/12854 who served in the 3rd Battalion Middlesex Regiment. His service record shows he enlisted on 1/10/1910 at Stratford, Essex.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Hello All!

Browsing through my copy of SDITGW (Middlesex Regiment bound edition) I came across the following chap -

Pte. Frederick Milne, L/7430 1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment, b.Marylebone, e. London k. in a. F & F 15/7/16.

His service number is only 13 figures before my man - it would be nice if anyone knows when (and exactly where) he enlisted.

Just out of interest, I found a Middlesex Regt. soldier with a very low number - L/3737 A/Cpl James Patrick Casey, b. Kensington, e. London, k. in a. F & F 27/9/17. His entry on the CWGC register states "43 years old - 25 years of service". That would mean he joined around 1892.

All the best,

Tony

Tony

I have a L/6723 Private Frederick Harding, 4th Middlesex, enlisted 1900 and a proper character. He served 17 years and 60 days with the Middlesex.

Regards

Paul

Hello Bux boy!

It would seem that the "L" at the beginning of a service number signifies pre war enlistment, but not for the Artillery. There is at least one helpful previous posting on the forum - I think you can find it here :

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...245&hl=l+prefix

Personally, I'm not sure if the same L/**** could be used for different men in different Regiments....

Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,

Tony

Guest Bux Boy

Thanks Tony, I checked the posting you suggested and that seems to answer my question, my interest lies in the fact I own a 14 Trio and Plaque to a 4th Middlesex man George Peart Pte L/7848 who died 26/10/16 aged 46

Hello Bux Boy!!

Hope it helped. Your man's service number is reasonably close to my Great-Grandfather's - L/7443 . You dont happen to know what year your man enlisted...

All the best,

Tony Simmons

Guest Bux Boy

Sorry Tony I have not found out yet as I have only had the group a while but if I manage to find out I'll get in touch

Clint Lawson