Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Bedfordshire 1914 star help

welshdoc

Ive just picked up a nice 1914 star trio to

Pte Arthur G. Hollingsworth,

1st Bedfordshire Regiment 10020

I was wondering if he was with the unit at Mons 23 AUG 1914 so could some kind soul have a look at his medal card on Ancestry for me . Thanks Gareth

Many thanks Les, sounds like he didnt claim the bar as he was POW. Now I must wait to see if his service records ever come online. Never had a POW before . Must find out how to research this.

Can you make out what is written on the back of the MIC? Gareth (it was a bargain by the way).

It looks like (and translated into english :P ) "Commissioner of Metropolitan Police forwards roll of police constables entitled to medals 12 Jan 1921".

Thanks again les, I can see that now, after years in "Jail" he must have changed sides so to speak. Im so exited about this one its going to be my nxt big research project. From sunny (BBQ) time South Wales. Gareth

Many thanks to Steve Fuller, who although at present very busy, thus not seen on the forum, kindly answered my plea for help. Amoungst other things I now know that Arthur was a POW in 1914, where and when he was taken may be more difficult to determine. In his words........

"Arthur George Hollingsworth.

From his service number, he would have enlisted between 20th and 26th September 1912. Therefore, he would have served I England and Ireland before August 1914.

A hand written 1914 POW list for those in the Rgt records him as living at Fence Place , Barkingside, Ilford.

He would have served in all of these actions until captured; the Battles of Mons, Le Cateau, Marne & Aisne, La Basse / Givenchy & 1st Ypres as well as the retreat to Paris and the Race to the Sea.

As far as when he was captured goes, I have nothing specific but can narrow it down a little to a choice of several periods. The Btn lost very few men as POW’s despite being engaged in as well as being left as one of the rearguard units who bloodied the advancing Germans’ noses after Mons & Le Cateau. They also lost a few men during the retreat to Paris . Also, they lost a few POW’s after an assault against Givenchy in October when they refused to let go of the village despite being very isolated & hammered by artillery. "