Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

list of books for look ups

stiletto_33853

Hello Stiletto,

could you please look in one of your books and see if you can find out what the 12th Bn Manchester Regiment, 17 Div, were involved in on the 4th of August 1916, a soldier i am researching was KIA on this day,

any help or advice would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Only thing I can tell you about the 12th Manchesters is from the British Regiments book :- 12th (Service) Battalion, Manchester Regiment, Formed at Ashton-Under-Lyne September 1914 - K2 - to Wool in 52nd Brigade, 17th Division. January 1915 Wimborne, February 1915 Wool area, May 1915 Hursley Park. About 15-7-15 landed at Boulogne. 24-9-17 absorbed RHQ and 2 squadrons Duke of Lancasters Yeomanry (7 Officers and 125 men) now dismounted after serving as III Corps Cavalry Regiment. Became 12th (Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry) Battalion. 11-11-18 52nd Brigade 17th Division France, near Beaufort, south of Maubeuge.

Sorry Peter the Manchester Books I have are for the City Battalions (Pals) and 24th (Oldham)

Andy

Hi Andy.

Could you please look up in Du Ruvigny's and the Medical Officers book for a Capt William Norman Watson M.C.,RAMC attatched KOSB,died of wounds 29/5/1916.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Hi Stu,

Not in Du Ruvignys, British Medical Officers book not to hand at the moment will look it up for you in a day or two.

Andy

Stu,

No mention of your man Watson in the Mediacla Officers book either, sorry.

Andy

Andy,

Do you have any information on the following person?

G. H. Peskett (C.F.)

46th Casualty Clearing Station

located at Proven, Belgium in July 1917.

Many thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin,

No details of a G.H. Peskett from the CEF but if you are doing a family thing came across these two

Peskett, Charles Edward, Stoker P.O., HMS Good Hope, # 306704

Peskett, Timothy, Private, 1st Royal West Kent Regiment, # 10382

Let me know if these are any help too you and will send you the details. Both come from The Marquis De Ruvignys Roll of Honour.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

The other two names don't appear to be of any help but thanks very much for spending the time looking.

Regards,

Martin

Martin,

Your welcome, sorry I could not find the name you requested.

Andy

• 7 months later...

Hello Andy,

i would be very grateful if you could look-up the following soldier in SDITGW for me please,

HARGREAVES, Harold, Private, 10177, Coldstream Gds, 14/9/14.,

Any help would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Hi Peter

SDGW has this to say

Coldstream Guards

Hargreaves, Harold

Born Burley, Yorks Enlisted Wakefield

Died 14/9/14 in France and Flanders

Hope this helps you Peter, the rest is as stated.

Peter,

Your man is also in De Ruvigny's Roll Of Honour in volume 2 on page 158

HARGREAVES, Harold, Private, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, No 10177, Son of William Henry Hargreaves of 12 Queens Place, Otley, Leeds, served with the Expeditionary Force, reported missing 14th September 1914 and now assumed killed.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hello Andy,

thankyou very much for the look-up and for the entry in De Ruvigny's Roll Of Honour (added bonus), just one other thing did SDITGW have him recorded as KIA, i presume they must have done, thanks once again,

yours,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Sdgw has him listed as died and yet De Ruvigny has him reported missing and assumed killed, interesting.

Andy

Hello again Andy,

any chance of another look-up in SDITGW for the following soldier,

Albert HUSTWIT, L/cpl, 22744, Machine Gun Corps (Inf), 27/7/16.

Any help would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Albert Hustwit

Born Shipley , Yorks

Enlisted, Bradford

KIA

formerly 16/360 West Yorkshire Regiment.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Peter,

You are more than welcome, hope the information given helps you.

Andy

Andy,

I'm interested in any references there might be in "Four VCs in Forty Months, the proud record in World War 1 of the 6th (Service) Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment" regarding my grandfather:-

Pte Leonard S. Moore 13002, who survived the war

and his brother:-

Pte Sydney G. Moore 17643, who died 17th Feb 1917 and is listed on the Thiepval Memorial.

Thanks in advance,

Martin Cope

Hi Martin,

It gives the deatails of Sydney George Moore in the Roll

MOORE, Sydney George, Born Geddington, Northants. 17643, KIA 17/2/17

Details of action of Battalion that day:-

On 17th February, 1917, the 6th was right hand battalion to the Royal Fusiliers in the Battle of the Ancre, their objective being the German Trench system, Boom Ravine.

In this action, the 6th lost their newly appointed C.O. Lieut-Col. R.J.F.Meyricks whose adjutant Lieut. T.R.Price distinguished himself during a subsequent retirement, handling the Regiment with the greatest skill and gallantry. Lieut. G.C.Kemp, the MO also greatly distinguished himself in getting casualties back. C.S.M. O.Cuthbert,M.C. stood on the top of a bank steadying his company until all were in position. Later wounded he refused to go back until he had handed over. Among the decorated who showed courage and good leadership were Sgts W.D.Toe, G. Quartermaine, A.C.Gilbert, S.Flanagan, Cpl W.R.Thompson and L/Cpls A.Lee, W. Wreford and J.Hall. Quartermaine D.C.M. and the others M.M.

Others were Pte. Charles Chantrell, an officers batman who took charge of the platoon when his officer and the N.C.O.'s were hit. He re-organised them when they reached the ravine and continued the advance.

Pte J.Walsh unmasked a German attempt to feign death thus saving his comrades from being shot in the back.

Sorry that it does not have some more detail for you Martin, hope this helps.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff that fills in more detail on Sydney's final hours.

Nothing on granddad Len though. His service records are just as silent, nothing after landing in France 26 July 1915 until 30 March 1917 when attached to I.O.M (A.O.D), then 16 Feb 1918 when attached to 19 Ordnance Mobile Workshop Light (3rd Army) - recognising his skills as an apprenticed engineer.

Thanks again,

Martin