Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

list of books for look ups

stiletto_33853

Manchester City Battalions (book and cd)

Roll of Honour (De Ruvigny)

6th battalion Northamptonshire Regiment

N.U.T. War Record 1914 - 1919

L.C.C. Record of Service 1914 - 1918

Medical Officers in the British Army (volume 2 1898 to 1969)

The War Illustrated (all volumes)

1st Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Dulwich College War Record 1914 - 1919

Tonbridge School and the Great War 1914 - 1919

The west Yorkshire Regiment in the war (volume 2 1917 - 18)

Pals series

Meritious Service Medal the immediate awards 1916-1928, record of 27551 awards

Southend & District Roll of Honour 1914 - 1921 (covers most of SE Essex)

Mersea islands fallen of the first world war

24th Manchester Regiment (Oldham)

10th battalion East Yorkshire regiment

The War Illustrated WW2 Volumes 1 to 4Recipients of the DCM 1914 -1920

SDGW CD-Rom.

phew, hope these can help

Guest Simon Bull

Stiletto,

I am interested in possible information from one of books which you refer to. One of the men whom I am researching is a man called William Tapp who was in the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment and died of wounds in the Arras area on 8/5/1917. I wonder what the book you have about the Sixth Battalion is, and I would be interested to know if there is any information therein about what the Battalion were doing in the 10 days or so before 8/5/1917. I believe them to have been digging trenches in the area of Feuchy.

It is very kind of you to of this help.

Simon Bull

Hi Simon,

The booklet i have on the 6th is named Four VCs in Fourty Months, the proud record in World War 1 of the 6th (Service) Battlaion The Northamptonshire Regiment by Geoffrey Moore with a foreward by Major General J.B.Akehurst, C.B.E.

ISBN 0 9506360 5 3.

For the period you require unfortunately this book seems to deal with the attacks for this battalion i.e it goes from 17th February and the attack in the Battle of the Ancre where there objective was Boom Ravine to March with the German evacuation of the Loupart Line. It then jumps to Ypres in August hence missing the period you are interested in unfortunately.

The only Tapp i can find in the original roll is TAPP, H, of High St,Pottersbury, Bucks and TAPP, G of Pottersbury, Stoney Stratford, Bucks and in the roll of those died TAPP, Alfred # 13857 who died of wounds 1-7-16, born Barlavington, Sussex.

Sorry if this is of little help to you.

Andy

Chad,

Sorry no mention of Metcalfe.

Andy

Andy,

Again, from the Medical Officers volume, I would be interested in any references to:

Capt H Agnew, 2/1st West Lancs Field Ambulance, RAMC

Lt T E Ashley, RAMC

Major E W Barnes, RAMC

Capt R N Beath, RAMC

Lt G W Harrison, RAMC

Major J Mahony DSO, RAMC (Possibly M J Mahony)

Capt Philp McRitchie, RAMC

Capt A S Parkinson

Capt Douglas Henry David Wooderson

Capt G G Williams, 2/3rd Wessex Field Ambulance, RAMC

Sorry it's a long list. I didn't relaise how many Medical Officers a battalion could get through in a war.

Thanks very much,

Ken

Ken,

Sorry none of these names appear, maybe i should quote from the introduction of this book "The aim of this volume is to redord biographical details of all permament Regular officers who were commisioned in the Royal Army Medical Corps between 23rd June 1898, the date of its formation, and the year 1969. It is thus a continuation of the two volumes commonly known as "Peterkin Roll" and Johnson Roll" and , with them provides an unbroken record for 300 years."

It contains 2529 detailed records of Regular and permament officers, unfortunately not RAMC officers who served in Hostilities period unless Regular and permament officers of RAMC.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for your efforts, and the explanation. I wasn't aware that the book only covers regular officers. The majority (all?) of those on my list would have been Territorial Force or hostilities only.

Do you (or does anyone) know of a similar publication which might cover Territorial Force or hostilities only medical officers?

Regards,

Ken

Hi Andy,

Would you be so good as to look up what the 2nd Salford Pals were upto on 1/7/16 to 3/7/16.I have a copy of the war diary but it is unfortunately barely legible.

Also could you please check your books for Pte Harold Mottershead,16th Lancs Fus(2nd Salford Pals),KIA 2/7/16.

Thanks for help.

Stu.

Hi Stu,

Reading up for you now in the pals book for the info you require, quickly got this for you from "One Day on the Somme" by barry Cuttell.

The daunting task facing 96th Brigade was the capture of Thiepval. The leading battalions, 15th and 16th Lancashire Fusiliers( 1st &2nd Salford Pals) were destined to fall in horrendous numbers before the intense machine gun fire from ruined houses and Thiepval Fort. The German defences facing them were of the highest quality. There was some hand to hand fighting at the wire, but most never reached this obstacle, they were cut down in waves as soon as they left the trenches.

In spite of these losses, a few men were seen to enter the village, and it was wrongly assumed that at least a part of Thiepval was being held by the Lancashire Fusiliers. For this reason Thiepval was not shelled during the day and the German gunners were left unmolested.

A & B Companies of the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers along with 2 Companies of the 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers moved forward in support, but were met with a hail of bullets. The Germans were so confident they were on the parapet to acheive a better aim. C Company of the 16th Northumberland Fusiliers now moved forward but these men fared no better. D Company prepared to advance but when the leading platoon fell before the fire the rest of the men were mercifully held back.

Your man Private H.Mottershead 11789 was in D Company, platoon X111.

Stu as soon as i can will read the Pals book entry for 1 to 3-7-16 and reply, hope this helps.

Andy

Ken,

Sorry i do not know of a book that covers hostilities period for RAMC but i am sure that with all the knowledge in the forum someone can point you in the right direction.

Andy

Stu,

From Salford Pals book:-

Once Thiepval fell, the 2nd Pals task was to push through to form two defensive redoubts in the rear of the village. These redoubts were to be constructed on the Mouquet Switch lines (R27c25/75 to R20c85/15) which ran from the farm to the Scwaben redoubt. This reflected the Fourth army commands concern to make the advance methodical and proof against expected heavy counter attacks. Thus consolidation was becomming of paramount importance as the idea of total breakthrough evaporated.

For their part, the 2nd Pals battalion strength was four companies, each of 120 men including the lewis gun teams. 40 men, including signallers, messengers and a party of bombers were attached to battalion HQ. The battalion had the services of a party of men from 206 Company R.E. who were to help in the construction of the redoubts. C & D companies were detailed for the construction of the redoubts and apart from their already overladen packs, , each of these men were further burdened by RE stores and engineer material. A & B companies were ordered to support the assaulting battalions, although a small party of C & D would move over the top with these companies to mark out the ground in preparation for the work of the construction parties.

Stu might be better if i e mailed you as there is more to come.

Andy

Stiletto,

I am interested in possible information from one of books which you refer to. One of the men whom I am researching is a man called William Tapp who was in the 6th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment and died of wounds in the Arras area on 8/5/1917. I wonder what the book you have about the Sixth Battalion is, and I would be interested to know if there is any information therein about what the Battalion were doing in the 10 days or so before 8/5/1917. I believe them to have been digging trenches in the area of Feuchy.

It is very kind of you to of this help.

Simon Bull

Simon,

You may like to take a look at "The Glorious Sixth" which was produced as a compendium of veterans recollections providing a narrative for the unit. I expect if you enquire your local town library will still have a copy in its local room.

Martin

Martin,

Nice and thanks for that extra.

Andy

Hi Andy,

This info so far is excellent,I never knew what company/platoon he was in.

Does your book have any photos of his platoon as I have a photo of him and could identify him.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Stu,

Does not appear to be a picture in there but if you contacted the Lancashire Fusiliers museum in Bury they might be able to help, have some more e mails to send you in a bit,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for taking the time to type up all that info for me,those books that you have have some very detailed info in them.

I'm very grateful for you help.

Stu.

Stu,

You are welcome, all the Pals series of books are excelent reads, have e mailed some more to you, wish i had loaded my via voice, nearly finished with 1-7-16, the days covering 2nd and third are not so long , will get the rest to you as soon as i can, sending a bit by bit when time allows.

Andy

Stu,

Final e mail sent re the 2nd Salford Pals for the period 1st to 3rd july 1916, hope that it gives you the info you were looking for.

Andy

Stilletto

Re Manchester City Pals book-My grandad Leonard DAWSON was a private in the 16th Batallion-any info on him? Also looking for a Robert COCHRANE who I think was in the Manchesters as well.

Any info would be appreciated.

HI 3RAR.

re these men:-

R.Cochrane, Private #21547, 23rd Manchesters, A company, platoon 2

L.Dawson , Private, # 7451, 16th Manchesters, E company, platoon 20

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy,

I'm really very grateful to you for taking the trouble to send me so much info.

Its a sad tale that must have been repeated by many battalions on that day.

Incidently,my man is on the CWGC register as KIA on 2/7/16,but I have an official letter sent to his wife stating that he died on the 1st/2nd of July,and the war diary only gives total casualty figures for the 1st/2nd and not for each seperate day,I can only assume that the CWGC decided to record some as KIA on the 1st and some on the 2nd!!

Many thanks again.

Regards.

Stu. :)

Stu,

You are welcome, it is a sad tale indeed and makes compulsive reading. Glad that the info sent was of assistance to you.

Andy