Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John J FARRELL 312th Engineers, USA, 26.2.18

Guest Pete Wood

Pte John J. FARRELL, 312th Engineer Regt, US Army, who died on 26.02.18.

Buried in Suresnes American Cemetery, France.

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know how to research a USA WW1 soldier. I would appreciate any advice on rectifying this situation.

Okay, I found this info at American Battle Monuments Commission and their WW1 Honour Roll.

Private, U.S. Army

312th Engineer Regiment, 87th Infantry Division

Entered the Service from: Massachusetts

Died: February 26, 1918

Buried at: Plot A Row 05 Grave 03

Suresnes American Cemetery

Suresnes, France

At least I now know from which state he came.

Ok, so to what unit was he attached in February 1918 when he died?

French? British? Some US Engineers were attached to both for training.

87th Division info here

http://www.ls.net/~newriver/ww1/80div.htm

.................Organized at Camp Pike, Ark., in Sept., 1917. This division was composed of drafted men from Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. It remained in training at Camp Pike until June, 1918, when it was sent to Camp Dix, N. J. The first units embarked for overseas on Aug. 23rd and the last units arrived in France on Sept. 13th. Upon arrival in France the division was turned over to the Service of Supply and ordered to Pons (Charente-Inferieure) where it was broken up and the units placed on various work in the intermediate section. The cadres of the division returned to the U.S. in Dec., 1918.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest Jeff Floyd

Pvt Farrell actually died on 26 February 1919 at Base Hospital 21. He's listed as dying of disease.

He joined the Army 27 June 1918, was asigned to Company A, 312th Engineers, 87th Division (overseas from 24 August 1918).

He was born 8 July 1899, in Salem, Massachusetts.

Several states published rolls of their WWI veterans. Massachusetts only published a roll of its casualties, but many of these have fairly detailed service records (more commonly, they just have enlistment data, units and next-of-kin data.

The www.ABMC.gov site lists those men who were buried overseas, so does not give a full roll of those who died of disease or accident, died in the US, or those few who were shipped home for burial (a very small number).

A little extra... he's listed as having enlisted in Lynn, Mass.

Dave.