Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Formidable 1912


Ginette
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, can anyone give me details of the formidable during 1912. I am trying to find out some details of Captain H D Vaughan-Hughes who I believe was the coxan (if this would be correct) of the ship between April 26th 1912 and June 1912.

I know he lived in Gloucestershire after leaving the Navy and I believe he kkay have died between 1961 and 1967 as this is when the telephone book entry changes to his wifes name.

Any information given would be gratefully received.

Thankyou

Ginette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the wet part of the forum Ginette,

RN Officers service records have just become available online, here's your man:

Name Vaughan-Hughes, Herbert Disney

Date of Birth: 02 March 1892

Rank: Captain

Date record started 15 January 1905

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is quite a bit of information on the forum about the ship, mainly connected with her sinking.

Her log, so you could see what she was doing day by day in 1912, can be found in: ADM 53/21016 FORMIDABLE 1911 Apr. 1 - 1912 Dec. 31; this is an original document that you'd have to view at Kew.

Some pictures: http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_formidable.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ginette.

Some references from The Times. H. D. Vaughan-Hughes was appointed to the FORMIDABLE as a Midshipman in Aug 1911. Prior to that, he served on DRAKE and ABOUKIR (lucky not to have remained on that ship). In 1912, to the COMMONWEALTH. Just after the war started, he was promoted from Sub-Lieut. to Lieutenant.

He married less than 2 weeks after the war ended (he seems to have met his wife while stationed at Corfu during the war):

The Times, Saturday, Nov 23, 1918

Marriages

VAUGHAN-HUGHES : MARCHETTO.- On the

4th Nov., at the English Church, Corfu, by the Revd.

C. J. E. Peshall, D.S.O., Chaplain, R.N., LIEUT.

HERBERT DISNEY VAUGHAN-HUGHES, R.N., only son of

Captain A. M. Vaughan-Hughes, of Adsett Court, West-

bury-on-Severn, Glos. to VANA, daughter of the late

M. GERASSINO MARCHETTO and Mrs. Marchetto, of

Argostoli, Cephalonia, and niece of M. S. Gennatas, of

Courloura, Corfu.

The Times, Wednesday, Jul 04, 1928

London Gazette

LIEUTENANT-COMMANDER TO COMMANDER.- H. D.

Vaughan-Hughes, ..

The Times, Thursday, Jan 03, 1929

NEW YEAR PROMOTIONS

Navigation Branch Changes

.. Commander H. D. Vaughan-Hughs,

who was promoted in June last, after two years

as squadron navigating officer with the

Mediterranean destroyers, has been appointed

to the DRYAD, Navigation School, and in com-

mand of a tender.

The Times, Thursday, Apr 21, 1932

COMMANDER OF THE DORSETSHIRE

Commander H. D. Vaughan-Hughes this

week joins the cruiser DORSETSHIRE, flagship

of the Second Cruiser Squadron, in which

Commander A. C. Collionson has served for two

years. The former officer qualified at the Staff

College last year. During the War he served

as first lieutenant of the destroyers TARTAR,

UNITY, and ANZAC, and from May, 1918, as

first lieutenant and navigator of the minelayer

LATONA, based at Corfu. Since the War he has

been navigator of the cruisers CHAMPION,

CERES, and COVENTRY, in the last-named of

which he was squadron navigating officer of

the Mediterranean destroyers. He was pro-

moted in June, 1928, and in the following

January became commander at the Navigation

School.

If you are interested in anything further, I can do further searching. Saw mention of the marriage of his only son and, I think, the birth of two of his grandchildren. Didn't find his death notice but I only did a quick search.

regards,

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thankyou so much for your help guys.

I too could not find a date of death for him, I have telephone directory entries for him up untill 1961, then in 1967 it changes to his wife, so I am assuming he may have died between '61 and '67.

If you could find anything I would be really grateful.

Thankyou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry the other thing I forgot to mention was the 1912 reference was he along with some of the other crew took part in a boat race in which he was the coxan and there is a small trophy for this.

Would anyone know where I could find maybe a reference to this, or even a photo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

..I am assuming he may have died between '61 and '67.

The last mention of him in The Times that I can find at the moment is his attendance at the memorial service for Viscount Bledisloe at St. Margaret's, Westminster (reported 22 Jul 1958). In the large congregation list, he's listed near the top, in the same group as the Viscount and Viscountess Bledisloe (son and daughter-in-law), so some friendship or connection there perhaps.

Will keep looking for his death..

regards,

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done, Lorac. Here is his death notice in The Times:

The Times, Monday, Feb 19, 1962

VAUGHAN-HUGHES.- On Saturday, 17th February,

1962, at Mount Severn Cottage, Newnham, Gloucester-

shire, CAPTAIN HERBERT DISNEY VAUGHAN-HUGHES,

R.N. (Retd.), dearly loved husband of Vana and

devoted father of Disney. Funeral, St. Peter's Church,

Newnham, on Wednesday, 21st February, at 2.45

p m. Flowers to the church.

regards,

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would anyone know where I could find maybe a reference to this, or even a photo?

From local press, possibly national press such as the Daily Graphic Photos fewer and far between in those days. Have you tried the Roual Naval Museum, Portsmouth?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 years later...
On 29/08/2008 at 23:37, Ginette said:

Hi, can anyone give me details of the formidable during 1912. I am trying to find out some details of Captain H D Vaughan-Hughes who I believe was the coxan (if this would be correct) of the ship between April 26th 1912 and June 1912.

I know he lived in Gloucestershire after leaving the Navy and I believe he kkay have died between 1961 and 1967 as this is when the telephone book entry changes to his wifes name.

Any information given would be gratefully received.

Thankyou

Ginette

 

Long shot on a very old thread but Ginette I have this mans naval trunk (see attached).
I have just joined the form to contact you but am unable to send you a message currently.
Hopefully someone can help and we can get this trunk to the right place.
Regards Jon
 

_DSC2581.JPG

_DSC2583.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

I have spoke with my friend who I made the original enquiry for.

He does not believe there are any relations left that this could be passed onto.

 

Ginette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ginette said:

Hi

I have spoke with my friend who I made the original enquiry for.

He does not believe there are any relations left that this could be passed onto.

 

Ginette

 

What a shame, thanks for enquiring though. 
Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Long shot here but i have an old photo album that has been handed to me...there is only one name in the whole album and that is of herbert disney Vaughan-Hughes.  Aged 10. If anyone knows anything about their family or can help identify the rest of the family , i would be very grateful . I did want to try hand it back to the rightful family but have just read above that the family name no longer exists . Oldest photo in the book is dated 1892

16022402177608713249340757644159.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listed under the Battle of Jutland crew lists as being a Lieutenant on HMS Colossus.

MB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 30/06/2020 at 14:55, Ginette said:

Hi

I have spoke with my friend who I made the original enquiry for.

He does not believe there are any relations left that this could be passed onto.

 

Ginette

Hello

Just read all the post. Quite emotional.

Uncle Herbert's son Disney has two sons. I have never met them. I only remember Dave/David. I doubt I can find out more, but I will try.

Edited by Maryl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/10/2020 at 12:45, Kerryn said:

Long shot here but i have an old photo album that has been handed to me...there is only one name in the whole album and that is of herbert disney Vaughan-Hughes.  Aged 10. If anyone knows anything about their family or can help identify the rest of the family , i would be very grateful . I did want to try hand it back to the rightful family but have just read above that the family name no longer exists . Oldest photo in the book is dated 1892

16022402177608713249340757644159.jpg

 

Hello Kerryn,

I would be happy to help if I can. I may recognise some of the people, especially from his wife's side of the family. I can cross reference them with the photos I have from my grandma. Long shot but you never know.

Regards,

Maryl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Maryl,  
Thank you so much for your reply and for the help :)
 

 

please could you email me over yours and I shall send u photo’s over and see if they match or if we can connect  them at all .

 

appreciate it , 

kind regards 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
10 hours ago, Kerryn said:

Hello Maryl,  
Thank you so much for your reply and for the help :)
 

 

please could you email me over yours and I shall send u photo’s over and see if they match or if we can connect  them at all .

 

appreciate it , 

kind regards 

@Maryl @Kerryn I have removed your email address from public view, it's not advisable to put personal information on a public forum . Please use the private messaging system to send information like that.

Michelle 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

@Maryl @Kerryn I have removed your email address from public view, it's not advisable to put personal information on a public forum . Please use the private messaging system to send information like that.

Michelle 

Thank you :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

A VERY late reply to this topic. I am one of HD Vaughan-Hughes’ two grandsons, David.

I have the small silver Dghajsa that the crew won in a fleet rowing competition in Malta and will post a pic when I can.

More later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2008 at 21:44, Ginette said:

Sorry the other thing I forgot to mention was the 1912 reference was he along with some of the other crew took part in a boat race in which he was the coxan and there is a small trophy for this.

Would anyone know where I could find maybe a reference to this, or even a photo?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to remember this trophy was awarded to the whaler crew of the battleship HMS Nelson at a regatta in Malta.

Captain H.D. Vaughan-Hughes was my grandfather and Vana Marchetto was my grandmother. They retired to live at Couloura, Corfu, which she inherited from her aunt. Family legend has it that he saw my grandmother on the veranda of this house when he sailed past in his destroyer.

Subsequently my father Cmdr.DM. Vaughan-Hughes also retired there.

I can try and answer any other queries.

E8B10DE8-1C4D-4CAA-B061-76B7AC46EC96.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...