Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Formidable 1912

Ginette

Hi, can anyone give me details of the formidable during 1912. I am trying to find out some details of Captain H D Vaughan-Hughes who I believe was the coxan (if this would be correct) of the ship between April 26th 1912 and June 1912.

I know he lived in Gloucestershire after leaving the Navy and I believe he kkay have died between 1961 and 1967 as this is when the telephone book entry changes to his wifes name.

Any information given would be gratefully received.

Thankyou

Ginette

Welcome to the wet part of the forum Ginette,

RN Officers service records have just become available online, here's your man:

Name Vaughan-Hughes, Herbert Disney

Date of Birth: 02 March 1892

Date record started 15 January 1905

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

There is quite a bit of information on the forum about the ship, mainly connected with her sinking.

Her log, so you could see what she was doing day by day in 1912, can be found in: ADM 53/21016 FORMIDABLE 1911 Apr. 1 - 1912 Dec. 31; this is an original document that you'd have to view at Kew.

Some pictures: http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_formidable.htm

Hi Ginette.

Some references from The Times. H. D. Vaughan-Hughes was appointed to the FORMIDABLE as a Midshipman in Aug 1911. Prior to that, he served on DRAKE and ABOUKIR (lucky not to have remained on that ship). In 1912, to the COMMONWEALTH. Just after the war started, he was promoted from Sub-Lieut. to Lieutenant.

He married less than 2 weeks after the war ended (he seems to have met his wife while stationed at Corfu during the war):

The Times, Saturday, Nov 23, 1918

Marriages

VAUGHAN-HUGHES : MARCHETTO.- On the

4th Nov., at the English Church, Corfu, by the Revd.

C. J. E. Peshall, D.S.O., Chaplain, R.N., LIEUT.

HERBERT DISNEY VAUGHAN-HUGHES, R.N., only son of

Captain A. M. Vaughan-Hughes, of Adsett Court, West-

bury-on-Severn, Glos. to VANA, daughter of the late

M. GERASSINO MARCHETTO and Mrs. Marchetto, of

Argostoli, Cephalonia, and niece of M. S. Gennatas, of

Courloura, Corfu.

The Times, Wednesday, Jul 04, 1928

London Gazette

LIEUTENANT-COMMANDER TO COMMANDER.- H. D.

Vaughan-Hughes, ..

The Times, Thursday, Jan 03, 1929

NEW YEAR PROMOTIONS

Navigation Branch Changes

.. Commander H. D. Vaughan-Hughs,

who was promoted in June last, after two years

as squadron navigating officer with the

Mediterranean destroyers, has been appointed

to the DRYAD, Navigation School, and in com-

mand of a tender.

The Times, Thursday, Apr 21, 1932

COMMANDER OF THE DORSETSHIRE

Commander H. D. Vaughan-Hughes this

week joins the cruiser DORSETSHIRE, flagship

of the Second Cruiser Squadron, in which

Commander A. C. Collionson has served for two

years. The former officer qualified at the Staff

College last year. During the War he served

as first lieutenant of the destroyers TARTAR,

UNITY, and ANZAC, and from May, 1918, as

first lieutenant and navigator of the minelayer

LATONA, based at Corfu. Since the War he has

been navigator of the cruisers CHAMPION,

CERES, and COVENTRY, in the last-named of

which he was squadron navigating officer of

the Mediterranean destroyers. He was pro-

moted in June, 1928, and in the following

January became commander at the Navigation

School.

If you are interested in anything further, I can do further searching. Saw mention of the marriage of his only son and, I think, the birth of two of his grandchildren. Didn't find his death notice but I only did a quick search.

regards,

Martin

Thankyou so much for your help guys.

I too could not find a date of death for him, I have telephone directory entries for him up untill 1961, then in 1967 it changes to his wife, so I am assuming he may have died between '61 and '67.

If you could find anything I would be really grateful.

Thankyou

Sorry the other thing I forgot to mention was the 1912 reference was he along with some of the other crew took part in a boat race in which he was the coxan and there is a small trophy for this.

Would anyone know where I could find maybe a reference to this, or even a photo?

..I am assuming he may have died between '61 and '67.

The last mention of him in The Times that I can find at the moment is his attendance at the memorial service for Viscount Bledisloe at St. Margaret's, Westminster (reported 22 Jul 1958). In the large congregation list, he's listed near the top, in the same group as the Viscount and Viscountess Bledisloe (son and daughter-in-law), so some friendship or connection there perhaps.

Will keep looking for his death..

regards,

Martin

Well done, Lorac. Here is his death notice in The Times:

The Times, Monday, Feb 19, 1962

VAUGHAN-HUGHES.- On Saturday, 17th February,

1962, at Mount Severn Cottage, Newnham, Gloucester-

shire, CAPTAIN HERBERT DISNEY VAUGHAN-HUGHES,

R.N. (Retd.), dearly loved husband of Vana and

devoted father of Disney. Funeral, St. Peter's Church,

Newnham, on Wednesday, 21st February, at 2.45

p m. Flowers to the church.

regards,

Martin

Would anyone know where I could find maybe a reference to this, or even a photo?

From local press, possibly national press such as the Daily Graphic Photos fewer and far between in those days. Have you tried the Roual Naval Museum, Portsmouth?

• 13 years later...

A VERY late reply to this topic. I am one of HD Vaughan-Hughes’ two grandsons, David.

I have the small silver Dghajsa that the crew won in a fleet rowing competition in Malta and will post a pic when I can.

More later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2008 at 21:44, Ginette said:

Sorry the other thing I forgot to mention was the 1912 reference was he along with some of the other crew took part in a boat race in which he was the coxan and there is a small trophy for this.

I seem to remember this trophy was awarded to the whaler crew of the battleship HMS Nelson at a regatta in Malta.

Captain H.D. Vaughan-Hughes was my grandfather and Vana Marchetto was my grandmother. They retired to live at Couloura, Corfu, which she inherited from her aunt. Family legend has it that he saw my grandmother on the veranda of this house when he sailed past in his destroyer.

Subsequently my father Cmdr.DM. Vaughan-Hughes also retired there.

I can try and answer any other queries.

E8B10DE8-1C4D-4CAA-B061-76B7AC46EC96.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Do hope this post is current as I can add to it. In the early 1920,s my mother Lilian Daisy Dixon was in those days called a governess to Disney Vaughan Hughes and lived with the family at Couloura on Corfu for I think about 6 years. My mother died in 1967 but I have her photos of time there including a photo dated Corfu 1923 of the 4 generations- Disney, Vana  Vaughan - Hughes,her mother Mrs Marchetto and her mother Mrs ? Mariachi. I also have photos of Couloura house taken from the sea & sent as a post card from Mrs Vaughan Hughes in 1954 to my mother. I took photos in the same place from a boat in the 1990,s and it looks no different!! I remember aged 10or 12- around the early 1060,s being taken by  my mother to I thought a house in London to visit Vana Vaughan Hughes. I do remember how lovely she was. She corresponded with my mother for many years.Have often wondered what happened to Disney hence looking up information. Would love to hear from his sons who I wonder if I have a memory of meeting when we were children.  I was born in 1949.

Maggie