The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card

Dannemois

post-34874-1220034566.jpg

post-34874-1220034591.jpg

I have attached two medal cards of: 1. Douglas Peter Smith and 2. William Cleghorn Smith. Please can someone look at them, both are my late father's uncles, both survivied the war and are now deceased. Would like to learn as much as possible of them.

Thanks in advance

Roy

Thes look fairly straightforward. Your best bet is to check out http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm where all will become clear.

Good luck Rob

Hi Rob

Well I've had a go and wondered if you could check my observations of Pte Douglas Peter Smith's card

His original unit was the Highland Light Infantry, he landed in France 3 Sept 1915, and whilst with them he recieved the Victory Medal and British War Medal. Transferred to the Royal Engineers; awarded the 1915 Star. I take it he was then transferred to the Regiment of Cavalry and then back to the Royal Engineers.

I have a copy of his Certificate of Employment During The War which reads:

Regimental Employment

[a] Trooper, 29 Aug 1914 to June 1915

Infantry, June 1915 to Feb 1916

[c] S.P.O. (Field Survey) Feb 1916 to Feb 1919

Does this make sense to you?

Regards

Roy

Roy,

You pretty much have it,

The 1914 - 15 star was earned first. The War and Victory medals look to have the letters RE next to them so all his medals would have Royal Engineers on them.

The Z class entry is his transfer to the reserve / demob date.

First entry, 3.9.15 so your spot on.

Looks to me like its Res Reg of Cav, reserve regiment possibly?.

If you look above the PTE (Private) it looks to me like CPL (Corporal) possibly his final rank.

Regards

Brett

i]The 1914 - 15 star was earned first. The War and Victory medals look to have the letters RE next to them so all his medals would have Royal Engineers on them.

ii]Looks to me like its Res Reg of Cav, Reserve Regiment possibly?

i] RE on the Medal roll reference infers that they were issued from the RE Record Office;but would be named up as Highland Light Infantry,the unit he First serves o/s with{this is indicated by the "X" with "dots" between limbs by the Regiment [& incidently "Cpl" in the rank space] @ the top of the card,as a memo to the inscriber using the card initially;that these were the terms to be impressed on the awards[The same "X" mark appears on the other Card & by the Roll references.]

ii]Spot on Brett;Reserve Regiment of Cavalry.

Roy,

You pretty much have it,

The 1914 - 15 star was earned first. The War and Victory medals look to have the letters RE next to them so all his medals would have Royal Engineers on them.

The Z class entry is his transfer to the reserve / demob date.

First entry, 3.9.15 so your spot on.

Looks to me like its Res Reg of Cav, reserve regiment possibly?.

If you look above the PTE (Private) it looks to me like CPL (Corporal) possibly his final rank.

Regards

Brett

Thanks Brett

Kind of you to help out, I have very little knowledge on things military and appreciate learning from others.

Roy

i] RE on the Medal roll reference infers that they were issued from the RE Record Office;but would be named up as Highland Light Infantry,the unit he First serves o/s with{this is indicated by the "X" with "dots" between limbs by the Regiment [& incidently "Cpl" in the rank space] @ the top of the card,as a memo to the inscriber using the card initially;that these were the terms to be impressed on the awards[The same "X" mark appears on the other Card & by the Roll references.]

ii]Spot on Brett;Reserve Regiment of Cavalry.

Thanks Harry,

I really do appreciate the info from Brett & yourself

post-34874-1220263598.jpg

I have attached a photo of D P Smith for your interest. I,ve seen others of him on horseback and thought of him as a trooper, but from what I understand that's not the case is it, he wouldn't have been on horse in the R.E. would he? His regiment employment was with the 4th Field Survey Bn. R.E. unit 12 Observation Group. Any idea what his roll would be?

Regards

Roy