Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch Photographic Archive book

Chris Foster

I'm Conisdering buying The Black Watch Photographic Archive book.

As any forum members got this book, and if so would they recomened it ?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

It's an acceptable book if you are interested in the Black Watch generally. If you are considering buying it for WW1 content you may be disappointed.The 1914-1918 section is 12 pages long and has 23 pictures of which a large proportion are of the 2nd Bat., although I would have to say I don't think I had seen any of these pictures in any other publication

The book does give a reasonable overview of the Regiment and contains the very first picture taken of the Black Watch in 1852. It obviously consists mainlyof photos but there is a reasonable amount of text explaining the various pictures and giving a little background.It is 128 pages long and divided into several chapters;1852-1881, 1881-1899,1899-1913, 1914-1918,1919-1939, 1939-1945,1946-1954,1954-1974 and 1974-1999.

I am pleased to own the book but I feel it could have been better; it was a bit like a Chinese meal; Pleasant enough at the time but not really satisfying.

Whether it would be worth your while owning it would depend on your level of interest in the regiment and of course the purchase price.

regards

Ian

Hi Chris

I can't comment on the complexities of the book. However, Ian is most likely right assuming that he means there must be more important photographs in the archives. The book has one glaring inaccuracy that I have spotted. Apart from that, there is no question that a picture (still) tells a thousand words. So if you are really interested in The Black Watch, then it is a springboard for further research.

It is a pictorial after all.

Eveanne

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, perhaps these are the best pictures in the archives available.

I forgot to say that one of the plus points of the book is that it does manage to identify many of the individuals who are pictured including several "worthies" from the regiment's history. Looking at it again the pictures taken during WW1 are mainly 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th Bat.

regards

Ian

Ian, Eveanne,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I spotted a copy on Amazon for £3.95 and decided to order it. I can't go wrong at that price.

Kindest Regards

Chris

I quite liked it - especially liking the 2nd Bn.

Its on sale by www.naval-military-press.com @ £3.95 brand new. A bargain! :D

Fred

Lads,

My copy cost me £9.99 several years ago and even at that I thought it was reasonable value. At £3.99 it's well worth having.

regards

Ian

For Ian,

I suppose it might be slightly disappointing to find that that not all the Battalions are adequately covered. Perhaps this is due to the Regimental archives not having enough donations of photos for all the Battalions that served in WW1! Well, just a thought. :unsure:

However, having now viewed your own (relatives) photos on this forum as well as other photos, you could well have a point that for the Great War period in particular, the reproduction of photos is rather poor.

Eve