Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The diggers

roel22

Can anybody update me on how the Diggers are doing?

All I know is a new law forbid further excavations and they had to go to court before the summer holiday...

Roel

We had a few posts a month or so ago about a dig but not much else, Roel. If Frans or any of his crew are looking in they may wish to know that the Digger hat and a couple of their pins will be getting an airing on the Somme next week and hopefully appear in a photographic extravaganza, B) in the following weeks. It would be nice to hear more from them to hear how they are getting on.

No news about the court-case from a few months back?

I hope they'll be out of trouble soon.

Roel

No news about the court-case from a few months back?

I hope they'll be out of trouble soon.

Roel

Roel,

We have to go to court again, septembre 8th.

We hope to bring you good news. Anyway, you will get news from us, good or bad.

Good luck, Pol.

Let's hope for the best.

Roel

trouble ? who said they were in trouble?

tafski

Well, trouble may be a bit 'over the top'.

But then again: a group called the diggers that isn't allowed to dig anymore;

That's what I meant by 'trouble'...

Roel

• 10 years later...

Coming across this Topic, and wondering a while ago where to post what I wanted to communicate, I think this may be a good place...

All things pass ... Or even better: All good things come to and end.   :-)  and  :-(

Approx. 20 years ago Jacky Platteeuw and I started a website of The Diggers.

I think I can say it was successful. Then in April 2004 I left the team, and being no longer in a position to update the website, it looked like the Diggers website it would disappear soon, as I (understandably) was not willing to invest in a website of a team that I was not part of.

Thanks to a very welcome coincidence though (I could explain, but it is a little complicated) the Diggers website continued to exist. (As to my finances : it was free.) After almost 15 years I could only be grateful for that. I used it for myself, as a source of information - provided by myself. Also as a source of nostalgia. And also because it enabled me to provide people with links to specific items they contacted me about.

However, yesterday I noticed, with sadness in my heart, that the website ceased to exist, probably a week ago.

So when you click on

http://www.mausershooters.org/diggers/

you will not see The Diggers website. Only a message that The Domain Name has Expired"... And that it can be renewed. (Which I will not and cannot do.)

Allow me to thank all the GWF members who in the past (almost 20 years) popped in.

And my apologies to all those who may find a link on the GWF in a number of my postings of the past years, which when clicking on it, shows nothing interesting anymore.

But life goes on. And it will not stop me from digging. Which in fact I I have done all the time since April 2004. Except that then I started "digging above ground". Less muddy, and a lot drier ! No more dirty boots. :-)

Aurel

P.S. By the way, what do you see in the UK when you click on the link ? I see clickable references to Dutch / Flemish websites (Like Foto op Canvas ... Autoverzekering ... Vliegtickets ... I guess something else in the UK ?

Share your sadness Aurel. Such a great experience, for me, from a chance meeting at Menin gate so long ago now.

I see simple expired notice and suggested links to other sites. Many thanks to De Diggers.

Thanks, Egbert and David and Asanewt,

But ... the good news is that - thanks to my son (how did he do it ?!) ...

A sort of "resurrection" (of like a phoenix from its ashes   :-)  ), with a different URL though.

I'll keep you informed ...

Aurel

A big "DANK JE WEL" from the other side of the country !!

Thanks for all the work, Diggers!!!

M.

Thankfully I had the pleasure of following the De Diggers web pages at the time and has been a very useful source over the years. I’m pleased the Phoenix will rise from its URL......... most things are archived and can be viewed in their old formats...so I’m told. Like others above have mentioned I shall welcome back Aurel’s work........well done Junior Sercu 

And here I am again, to proudly present ...

http://users.telenet.be/aurel.sercu/

I know "Diggers" is not in the name (URL) anymore. My son explained why this is not possible. Did I understand his explanation ? Hardly. But that is the case in most of his expanations regarding this sort of stuff.  :-)

All that counts is that "all is not lost".

My hope is that this "resurrection" is not temporary ... For the internet can act in mysterious ways ...

Jay dubaya,

" most things are archived and can be viewed in their old formats...so I’m told"

Yes, that's true. You refer to Wayback Machine ? https://archive.org/web/

I have been there a couple of times in the last two weeks, but it only leads to : "Temporarily unavailable, but will be back online shortly".

Aurel

4 hours ago, Aurel Sercu said:

" most things are archived and can be viewed in their old formats...so I’m told"

Yes, that's true. You refer to Wayback Machine ? https://archive.org/web/

I have been there a couple of times in the last two weeks, but it only leads to : "Temporarily unavailable, but will be back online shortly".

Aurel

Actually I've never heard of Wayback Machine Aurel, what a great little find, having now looked I can see there are a couple more such platforms hosting archived web pages. Very pleased to see your work back online and long may it last, thank you Aurel

Jon

12 hours ago, Aurel Sercu said:

. You refer to Wayback Machine ? https://archive.org/web/

Aurel

If you go to https://web.archive.org/web/20160405055413/http://mausershooters.org/diggers/ you will see the website mausershooters.org/diggers as archived  in the Wayback Machine at 5 April 2016.  This was the latest date I could see.

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

Maureen,

Yes ! And I was quite surprised to see that. (Because I thought I had checked that date and also before 2016, but think I remembered I saw "temporarily unavailable" too, which I saw for recent dates. Apparently I was wrong.)

Thanks !

(Yet I wish I understood why one can see up to 5 April 2016, and not more recent, 2017, 2018 and 2019). No, do not explain ! Though it would make me feel a little (digitally) smarter. That is, provided I understand of course.  :-)

Jon

Yes, that Wayback Machine comes in handy from time to time. And indeed there are "alternative" platforms. But somehow the name ... deters me. (But I am easily scared on the internet. I am not very brave ... Maybe because I never was an 'alternative' ?)

By the way, I am finalizing my Chappell / Smith project (Unknown 'Duke' in Talana Farm Cemetery). You'll hear from me soon.

Aurel

Edited by Aurel Sercu
Forgot a part