Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia

Chris Caul

Hello all,

A bit of a long shot I'm afraid, but someone might just be able to help.

I'm researching my Great Grandad - George Bacon, born 1876 in Derby. As far as I know he only served in Mesopotamia and possibly India throughout the war. He would have enlisted in Derby, but I have no idea which unit. There is only one photo of him. It shows him in tropical uniform, but there are no unit/rank markings. After my Gt Grandma died he married again and she didn't want anything to do with his old family so destroyed all his records when he died in 1950ish. I'm relying on info from my Gran who is 92 and getting forgetful.

Is there any way of finding out - or working out - what unit he could have joined up with in Derby, assuming that this particular unit was based solely in the Mesopotamia area?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Chris.

Chris,

Your best bet will be the PRO. Fortunately, your g-grandad did not have a common name.

Firstly, try the medal index cards. These will give you all of the George Bacons who served, and in which units. From this you can find all of the men of that name who served in Mesopotamia (via the medal rolls). You can then also consult the soldiers' records, just in case you are lucky and his has survived.

Once you have identified your man, you can look at the work of his units via the war diaries.

Rob

Rob,

thanks very much for the info. I have managed to find his date of birth today through my local family history society, so that should make life easier when I go to the PRO.

Chris.