Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irishmen Enlisted in Glasgow

ianmccallum

Looking at the possibility of a project based on Irishmen or sons of Irish parents who enlisted while living or working in Glasgow or Lanarkshire. These first and second generation Glasgow Irish had split loyalties with the independance aspirations of Ireland. Thousands were already in the army when war was declared, but many thousands more volunteered or were later conscripted. Any information at all, photos, military details or stories of such men would be gratefully received.

Ian McCallum

Search the Ulster Covenant records and you will find many soldiers who had been working or living in Scotland(all from Unionist side).. Records can be found at PRONI on web.

Wesley Wright

Many 'Scots Irish' on Ballymena site below - help yourself

Hello Wesley

Thanks for your reply. Its the nationalist side I am looking for. I am trying to see how their split loyalties tied in with recruiting, service and their reaction to the Easter rising.

Ian

[Hello Desmond

Thanks for your reply. Its the nationalist side I am looking for. I am trying to see how their split loyalties tied in with recruiting, service and their reaction to the Easter rising.

Ian