Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone heard of "Scotch Wood" (Belgium)

reubenayres

Has anybody heard of a place called "Scotch Wood". The name comes from my grandfather's diary from 1917.

30th Sept - warned of draft

3rd Oct - left Saltfeet, landed at Folkestone

4th Oct - landed at Boulougne

5th Oct - landed at Calais

8th Oct - landed at Aberle

12th Oct - landed at Scotch Wood (Belgium)

14th Oct - went up the line

His name was John Matthews No242131 2nd/6th Bn Sherwood Foresters. He was killed on 17th October 1917 and is listed on the Arras Memorial.

The circumstances are obscure as the 2nd/6th were inactive at the time and most Sherwood Foresters activity was on the Salient and so his precise whereabouts are uncertain.

unfortunately, his spelling was poor and I'm not sure if 'Aberle' is spelled correctly. However, I thought "Scotch Wood" might be distinctive. The word 'Belgium' seems to have been scribbled as an after-thought obliquely across the page on the same line.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Reuben

Hi

Some more info about SCOTTISH WOOD CAMP can be found on following link

http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...bee318bdf6252d4

Must have been a camp in the vicinity of Dickebush and Kemmel

info from ... 29th Battalion War Diary Transcription - April 1916 added

And Aberle is indeed ABEELE .. there was a military airfield during the great war.

And that Belgium was scribbled is usual as Flanders was very often mistaken with being "in France "

yes, but ....

There"s also a Flanders in France, we call it French Flanders but its also called "Flanders" (la Flandre) by the French . Before 1672 "Flanders" was one region in the same country. Later Flanders was divided ------and a part of Flanders was given to France... So ther'are 2 Flanders.......

Elzenwalle 1-10-17 Coy HQ at Scottish Wood, Trench map ref H.35.B.5.0.

War Diary 95 Fd Coy RE

WO95/1645

Reuben.

AS part of 59th Division, 2/6th Notts & Derby were involved in the Battle of Polygon Wood on 26th September. Their role was to attack just west of Gravenstafel and the attack was successful.

Presumably John was a replacement for the casualties lost on that day and, also presumably, the Bn must have moved if he died in the Arras sector. You need someone to look at their war diary.

Neil

Elzenwalle 1-10-17 Coy HQ at Scottish Wood, Trench map ref H.35.B.5.0.

War Diary 95 Fd Coy RE

WO95/1645

Correct although I have not checked the map reference.

Scottish Wood was given that name by the Liverpool Scottish in 1915 according to the regimental historian, Colonel AM McGilchrist (see below) in The Liverpool Scottish 1900 - 1919. It lies 4 km SW of the town of Ieper (Ypres). It was used as a rest area between Dickebusch and the front line area at Vormezeele. Diaries record that the battalion adopted a 'proprietorial air' to the Wood though it was not the most tranquil of places.

In order that the two companies out of the line might be within easier distance of the trenches, if required in an emergency, dugouts were constructed in a wood, christened Scottish Wood, on a ridge behind Voormezeele where the Battalion Headquarters was - and here that part of the Battalion nominally on rest came after relief, only the Quartermaster's Stores and Transport section remaining at Dickebusch. Scottish Wood was immediately in front of our 18 pounder positions, and the terrific din when these guns were firing - with an occasional "premature" for luck - added to the daily ration of shrapnel from the enemy, made the wood anything but a haven of rest.

The Liverpool Scottish Museum has a fair number of photos taken inside the wood in the spring of 1915. The photo was taken in 2005 looking approximately NE (if I recall correctly - I am afraid it's too late to find the map). Elzenwalle Chateau is on the right and the bulk of the wood is on the left. The parents of the pig have give permission for her photograph to be posted. No animals were harmed during the taking of this photo.

There is a modern 'Scottish Wood' at Altcar Range on the coast between Liverpool and Southport, the planting of which was funded by relatives and friends in memory those who had served in the Liverpool Scottish 1900-2000, either in peace or in war. It was opened with an excellent party in 2003.

Ian

post-1728-1219968450.jpg

Thank-you all so much for your help with this. I'm very grateful to you all.

Very best wishes

Reuben

Reuben

Scottish Wood Camp is in Map Square H 35 Map Sheet 28NW4- Ypres, see attached map.

John

post-1365-1220443607.jpg

THANK YOU! for posting this Jane.

I found this site a while ago but had totally forgotten about it. Very useful!

HERE is the link directly to the index of Western Front maps.

Wonderful - Thank-you all very much indeed.

Reuben

• 4 months later...
Has anybody heard of a place called "Scotch Wood". The name comes from my grandfather's diary from 1917.

30th Sept - warned of draft

3rd Oct - left Saltfeet, landed at Folkestone

4th Oct - landed at Boulougne

5th Oct - landed at Calais

8th Oct - landed at Aberle

12th Oct - landed at Scotch Wood (Belgium)

14th Oct - went up the line

His name was John Matthews No242131 2nd/6th Bn Sherwood Foresters. He was killed on 17th October 1917 and is listed on the Arras Memorial.

The circumstances are obscure as the 2nd/6th were inactive at the time and most Sherwood Foresters activity was on the Salient and so his precise whereabouts are uncertain.

unfortunately, his spelling was poor and I'm not sure if 'Aberle' is spelled correctly. However, I thought "Scotch Wood" might be distinctive. The word 'Belgium' seems to have been scribbled as an after-thought obliquely across the page on the same line.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Reuben

I've also a map showing 'Scottish Wood' which is too big to attach, but I will email it to anyone interested. The wood is still there, and can be located using Google Earth at 50 49 09 36N and 2 51 30 95E.

My grandfather Allan Ninnis (T/241973 1 Bn. East Kent Reg't) was killed in Scottish Wood on 2nd August 1918 when his section was out on patrol. Does anyone know if records exist as to what 1 Bn. were doing around this time?

allanpeter

• 9 years later...

Hoping this helps...from "Linesman" Digital mapping....map from the end of March 1918 as you can see it was in a very busy area

regards

Tom

Scottish wood.JPG

Oooops didn't realise that John nhad posted the same map previously...apologies...it's an age thing !

regards

Tom

• 1 year later...
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2009 at 22:36, allanpeter said:

I've also a map showing 'Scottish Wood' which is too big to attach, but I will email it to anyone interested. The wood is still there, and can be located using Google Earth at 50 49 09 36N and 2 51 30 95E.

My grandfather Allan Ninnis (T/241973 1 Bn. East Kent Reg't) was killed in Scottish Wood on 2nd August 1918 when his section was out on patrol. Does anyone know if records exist as to what 1 Bn. were doing around this time?

allanpeter

Hi allanpeter,
Have you got the war diaries for the 1st Battalion East Kent regiment? My Great Grandfather was in that Regiment, sadly killed in action on 7th June 1915.
Steve

• Admin

allanpeter hasn't visited the forum for over two years, you could try sending him a personal message.

Michelle