Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Michael Gallagher

felinezoo

Hi All,

I am a newbie so please forgive me if I mess this up! :rolleyes:

I am researching my GGFather, Michael Gallagher (service no. 7596) who was born in Birr, Co Offaly. He enlisted with the 3/South Lancs (I think) in 1904 and was sent to France as part of the first wave in August 1914. He was captured in Ciply on 23 August 1914 and spent the whole of the war in POW camps. I have gathered some of this info from the NA and the ICRC including his service record and medal card. The ICRC have advised he was a "POW in German hands, present in the camp of Doberitz (list undated)" and "present in the camp of Giessen coming from the camp of Limburg (according to a list dated 8.5.1917)".

I was wondering if anyone has other info on my GGF or any details on when he was in the various POW camps. I have absolutely no other information about him as his children, including my Grandmother have either died or emigrated to the US and have no contact with the rest of the family.

I hope this wasn't too long winded and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Many thanks, Susan

P.S. A huge thanks to those who have posted so much good info on this site, I have spent heaps of time researching and reading and just enjoying.

Susan,

Maybe an idea to post this in the Home & POWs section, in case some pals reading there can help. With what you have already obtained I am guessing that there may not be much more to uncover, but you never know!

Good hunting.

Ian