Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war diaries

harbottle

Hi can anyone tell me if the war diaries records at the national archive are worth getting, it looks like you get 10 pages for your money.

Thanks

Tony

A very hard question to answer. It depends on what you are looking for and which unit the war diary is for. Some war diaries have great detail and some are very general in their coverage. Dick Flory

Hi can anyone tell me if the war diaries records at the national archive are worth getting, it looks like you get 10 pages for your money.

Thanks

Tony

I looked at the war diary for 35 Brigade RFA at the NA recently, my guess would be that there was a couple of hundred pages. The diary included roneo copied orders for attacks, an interesting letter concerning the Italian campaign, plus a 5 page typed report on the Austrian's attack at Asiago on 15 June 1918. The latter enabled me to piece together how my grandfather was captured.

regards

Stephen

I'm interested in the 1st battalion east lancs regiment, my grandad was posted overseas to France or Belgium on 15th May 1915 and I would like to find out where he was and what he did if it is possible. National archive charges £8.50 for ten pages so it could be an expensive proccess.