Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Sands

effemess

My grandfather, John Sands, was a Terri and joined the Royal Scots1/6th T.F on 4th August 1914. The 1/16th sent drafts to the 4th and 8th TF battalions. I feel he must have gone to the 8th battalion because they landed in Havre 5.11.14, then to 22nd Brigade, 7th Division 11.11.14 at Merris. On April 5th 1915 he was back in Edinburgh – his 5 year old son died – and he is named as being present at the death.. I presume he then went back to the 8th Battalion. My reasoning behind him being in the 8th Battalion is that the 1/6th were sent to Alexandria and arrived 14.9.15, but my grandfather received the Mons Star, which is inscribed 6/R Scots – but his other two service medals have simply name, rank, service number 1427, Royal Scots.

His medal card is as follows

Sands – John

Corp – Royal Scots - attached to Royal Scots – Regiment number 1427 – Rank Private

Corp – Royal Scots – attached to Royal Scots – Regiment number 275095 – Rank Private

Can anyone confirm which battalion he was with please, and does anyone know where they were between November 1914 and April 1915. Also what does 'attached to' mean? I presume that he wasn't sent back home simply because his son was dying of menengitis, but that he must have been wounded, and I know that at some point he was gassed. I have a photograph which shows him with 2 'flashes' on his arm - were these issued for wounds?

I would also like to add that his daughter, who was born 13 August 1914 is still alive and kicking !! :)

Thank you for any replies

Hi there,

I suspect George (Dycer) is the man to speak to in re. 8th Royal Scots. From memory I think they would have been in the Bois Grenier sector during the time in question, forming part of 7th (Meerut) Division.

I am sure George will give you as much info as he can when he sees this.

Yours &c.,

Tim

Hi there,

I suspect George (Dycer) is the man to speak to in re. 8th Royal Scots. From memory I think they would have been in the Bois Grenier sector during the time in question, forming part of 7th (Meerut) Division.

I am sure George will give you as much info as he can when he sees this.

Yours &c.,

Tim

Thanks Tim - I just hope that George does see this...

As a small point of interest and to add a little humanity.. my grandfather brought home to Edinburgh, presumably in 1915, a doll which had been made by nuns at a convent when they heard that he had never seen his newly born daughter, my mother still has her doll!

Effe,

Sorry for the late/early morning reply.I've just returned from a Football Match held in London.

I can confirm, from the 8th Royal Scots War Diary, that a Company from the 6th Royal Scots was attached to the 8th Battalion at Haddington on 1st November 1914 prior to their embarkation for France.

A History of the 8th Battalion was written in 1919 and I can e-mail you a copy.

I'll try and send you my contact e-mail by Personal Message.

If I'm unsuccesful I'll post the relevant extract later today.

George

Thank you so much for the information you sent George... Fascinating. Just told my husband about the 1914 Christmas truce... Ahh, he said, but that's just a tale... well, said I, my grandfather was there !! :) Oh how I wish I could have asked him about that, and a lot of other things as well. This is a journey through time for me, to find out about part of my grandad's life, that no one else remembers.

Fiona,

For Hubby,from 8th Battalion War Diary.

24th December 1914-Re-entered Trenches.

25th December 1914-Arrival of Draft of 1 Officer and 82.Other Ranks.

27th December 1914-A report of intended attack by Germans.The Battalion stood to arms practically all night.

George

"I have a photograph which shows him with 2 'flashes' on his arm - were these issued for wounds?"

Hi there if the stripes are vertical stripes on the left cuff then they are indeed would stripes, as Tim has already said the 8th were indeed in Bois Garnier where they suffered their first fatalities of the war. You can see a bit more about the 8th if you nip along to my website, "Newbattle at War" , where some of dycers excellent photos of his uncle are featured. You can also hear a veteran of the 8th , James Marchbank being interviewed about his experiences with regiment, he served throughout theentire war.

John

Thanks John - George directed me to your site.. so interesting, I haven't listened to James Marchbank yet, going to do that later on tonight. As for the stripes, I will dig out the pic and have a good look and get back to you :)

Fiona