The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Henry Kew 7th Somersets

Cbramley

I wonder if anyone can help fill in some gaps for me. I am researching my Great Grandfather Henry Kew 28895 Pte. 7th Bn. Somerset Light Infantry. He died of wounds on 20th March 1918, however I do not know where he picked up these wounds. He joined up when the SLI were training / billeted at Hursley Park in Hampshire - apparently he came back from the pub one evening and announced that he was going to war, so family legend has it. Again I have been unable so far to pin down his enlistment date.

I am looking for any information regarding the 7th and their time at Hursley. I am currently reading Brendon Moorhouse's excellent book however any further info, pics etc would be gratefully received.

Chris

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum

From Ancestry

Name: KEW

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Somerset Light Infantry

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/03/1918

Service No: 28895

Additional information: Husband of C. F. Kew, of 90, Hursley, Winchester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XV. O. 1.

From CWGC

Description Medal card of Kew, Henry

Corps Regiment No Rank

Wiltshire Regiment 34231 Private

Somerset Light Infantry 28895 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/11

From NA site

Cant find anything else at the moment,

Ellie

Chris,

The Medal Index Card (MIC) indicates that your Great Grandfather first saw service in a theatre of war as Pte 34231 Wiltshire Regiment followed, at some stage later, Pte 28895 Somerset Light Infantry. The relevant medal roll held at The National Archives, Kew, of which the MIC is the key, should indicate the battalions. The MIC shows an entitlement to a British War and Victory medal so your Great Grandfather didn't enter a theatre of war until some time from 1916 onwards.

His burial in Row XV at Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery probably indicates that his remains were brought in from the battlefield during post Armistice clearance or from one of the many burial grounds in the Nord and Pas-de-Calais. An enquiry to CWGC on this subject may help to shed some light on a possible original place of burial.

Your Great Grandfathers name is recorded on Hursley War Memorial and on the wooden panels in All Saints Church, Hursley. The war memorial is a list of those men from Hursley who served and includes the name of Pte 14720 James KEW, Hampshire Regiment. A relation possibly? If you would like a photograph of Henry's entry on these memorials feel free to drop me a PM.

Marc

Chris,

From SDGW:

Regiment, Corps etc.: Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry)

Battalion etc.: 7th Battalion.

Last name: Kew

First name(s): Henry

Initials: H

Birthplace: Wolverton, Hants

Enlisted: Winchester, Hants

Residence: Hursley, Hants

Number: 28895

Date died: 20 March 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 34231, WILTSHIRE REGIMENT.

HTH

Grant