Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Rifleman' Alfred Boothby

Just look at these photos & tell me this is a German name.

PICT2117.jpgPICT2125.jpg

PICT2125.jpg

I'm not saying its that odd.After all.How many Zimmers & Shulz's etc.fought on the Allies side but,it just really amazed me to see a name like that here.

PICT2118.jpg

Just some more photo's of a loveley but seldom visited cemetery....

PICT2121.jpg

PICT2124.jpg

Interesting indeed and thanks for posting these excellent photographs.

He is the only Boothby on the VdK database and unfortunately his entry gives only the same information as his grave marker.

Too bad,Mick but,thanks for looking :) .

Anyone know if there's a German version of Ancestry???

There was a very prominent Boothby family some years ago, "some " connection with a Mr McMillan, have you checked the family out?

Colin

More so with a Mrs MacMillan, I seem to recall.

As well as checking Boothby on the VdK database, I did a search on Boothby and Germany and found a number of refs on genealogical sites to people of that name in Germany in the early 20th century. Without this man's unit, place of origin, or some other starting point, there seems very little chance of discovering any more about him. 'Musketier', I believe, indicates a Prussian regiment, and with luck there may not have be too many candidates in the 'catchment area' of this cemetery in May 1917 - but there's no guarantee that he met his death in the immediate vicinity.

Hi Mick, I didn't want to be too precise re. Boothby/MacMillan in case a mod. jumped on me. It is an interesting case however, would there have been many such with English names in the German Army?

Colin.

Blimey,Colin!

Thats just what I'd like to find out!

It is a strange one for us over here,you will admit but,is it just a family that moved to Germany circa 18 century or at a later date?

You recall Band of brothers with the German American prisoner who's family had 'answered the call'?

I'd love to know.

Dave

Startling when you see it like that somehow but there was a lot of commerce between Germany and Britain over many many years. Very close ties through royalty and aristocracy as well as commercial connections. We know of English families with German names and there must have been the mirror image. Sassoon had numerous German relatives and a Christian name of Siegfried. Would we think that a strange name to see on a bronze cross? I wonder if he was a relation of the Boothby who founded the Salvation Army?

Perhaps one of our experts will know Dave, it is an interesting subject & like you I would like to know more.

Colin

Hi Tom,

Yes I apreciate there were connections between the two countries even in the Royalty but were English names as common in Germany as German names were in the UK?

I think the Salvation army founders were named Booth ?

Colin

Hi Colin you could be right. I may be confusing them with Lord Boothby. I was not suggesting that there were many German families with English names, I do not believe there were many English with German names. There only has to be a few with one or two of their menfolk falling in battle.

Perhaps I put it badly Tom, I meant to say an English name in a German cemetery serving Germany was for me unusual . Sassoon etc. were of German origin through marriage, Boothby was different being from the male line, no marriage would alter that.

Colin.

There is a Lina Boothby recorded as a German citizen in the 1901 Census married and working at the German Hospital, Dalston, Hackney. Unfortunately, there is no trace on the husband or possible son.