Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

David

I am sorry I thought I had replied to you. I am afraid there was no sign of your man in any of the casualty lists.

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks - I had a feeling that you wouldn't have anything on him.

Regards,

David

Hello Mike

I've scanned through the magazines and I am afraid I only found one reference to your men. Pte Keiller is listed along with 12 other recipients of the MM dated 18 June 1917. There is no citaion for this list it simply states For Bravery in the Field. I can't see anything at all for Pte. King. Regarding Robert Burns, as an ex Queen's Own Highlanders I remember organising some of the pipe band to visit his home on the occasion of one of his birthdays. I am sure if you contact Ft. George or Cameron barracks they will be able to give you chapter and verse on his career.

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks for your efforts in looking for my two guys. It was just a chance that there may have been something more about then in the mags than I already have.

I do remember and have some pictures of a piper at Roberts 100th Birthday celebrations. At his funeral there was a pipe band from the Queens Own Highlands to see him off in true Scotish style. I have a lot on Roberts service and the book that he wrote on his experiences, but it was again a thought that there may be a few other mentions of him in the Mags.

Many thanks again for your help.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ian

I am just getting into this search for details on my Grandfather. With many thanks to John Duncan

My Grandfather joined the 8th A&SH in March 1914 (BANNATYNE Dugald, No 1677 A/cpl)

He was transfered to the 6th Camerons on the 6th August 1917 and went to France

as A/cpl BANNATYNE Dugald No 220035

He remained with the Cameron's until discharged on the 31st March 1920

Any information on him or the 6th from that date onwards would be greatly appreciated

my email is calumb@westnet.com.au

Jock

Ne Obliviscaris

Hello Jock

Unfortunately, by the time he joined the Camerons for the most part the mazazines were simply lists of casualties and awards. There are also some obituaries (mostly officers) and letters from people pleading for informmation on the missing. Unless he was wounded or distingushed himself in some way he would not get a mention.

Ian

Ian:

Could I trouble you to check for anything on these two 6th Bn men:

Pte. Jeffrey Summers

A Coy, 6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders

Date of Death: 14/04/1917

SN: S/26190

Pte. Peter McAdam

6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders

Date of Death: 28/03/1918

SN: S/17263

Thanks,

Chris

Ian:

Could I trouble you to check for anything on these two 6th Bn men:

Pte. Jeffrey Summers

A Coy, 6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders

Date of Death: 14/04/1917

SN: S/26190

Pte. Peter McAdam

6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders

Date of Death: 28/03/1918

SN: S/17263

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris

I've been up and down the lists three times looking for Pte Summers but I am afraid I cant see any sign of him. Pte McAdam appears half way down a list containing 220 names of Non Commissioned Officers and Men Killed in Action (as opposed to DOW) in the July 1918 edition. There are no other details.

Ian

Hello Ian

Is it possible for you to see if 8300 A/Cpl Thomas Bissett 1st Battn Cameron High is mentioned in your books please

He was KIA 23 July 1916 on the Somme

He was from Fife misprint in all his documents, says he was from Wormwood, Goldie, Fife

no such places 1891 census says Balmerino, but could be Gauldrie, Fife

Father was David ( a veteran of the 78th High, 2nd Seaforths Afghanistan and Egypt)

Mother Rachael.

Very Grateful

Alun

Hello Ian

Is it possible for you to see if 8300 A/Cpl Thomas Bissett 1st Battn Cameron High is mentioned in your books please

He was KIA 23 July 1916 on the Somme

He was from Fife misprint in all his documents, says he was from Wormwood, Goldie, Fife

no such places 1891 census says Balmerino, but could be Gauldrie, Fife

Father was David ( a veteran of the 78th High, 2nd Seaforths Afghanistan and Egypt)

Mother Rachael.

Very Grateful

Alun

Hello Alun

Sorry there is no sign of him. I checked up to and including July 1917. There is a Cpl L Bissett but the reg number and date of death are different.

Ian

Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I thank you for the information (given in a reply posting to someone else's query), about the movement of the 1st BN since landing in France in Aug 1914. I have been trying to research this very info with very slow results with my efforts. In one posting, who have given me all I need to know!

Could you help again and look up Cpl Nigel GRAHAM 9120 of Kirkcaldy. KIA 21 Oct 1914. He was only 19 and yet already a Cpl when he was KIA'd.

I do know that prior to joining/transferring/drafted to the Cameron Highlanders that he was a member of 1/4 BN Black Watch (SN 3/1751)

Hello Ian:

Could I impose upon you to check another:

Captain Thomas Cecil Boyd

Cameron Highlanders

1st Bn, attached 7th Bn

Date of Death: 21/07/1917

With thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris

Capt Thomas Cecil Boyd DOW 210717 from wounds recieved on 5 July 1917. The younger son of Mrs Boyd of 27 Roland Gardens, London. Educated at Cheltenham College and Sandhurst. Gazetted 2 LT into Cameron Hldrs 16 June 1915. Promoted LT 23 Dec 1916 and A/Capt 21 May 1917. Sorry its a bit thin as biographies for officers go. It appears in the October 17 edition which was the start of brown paper pages so I guess restrictions were kicking in.

Ian

Hi

In the January 1915 edition your man is listed as L/Cpl N. Graham "Missing" (Reported Killed) between 22/24 Oct 1914. Over those three days the battalion fought a defensive action at Langemarke, though they were relieved very early on the morning of the 24th. Most of the fighting and casualties occured on 22 and 23.

Ian

Hi

In the January 1915 edition your man is listed as L/Cpl N. Graham "Missing" (Reported Killed) between 22/24 Oct 1914. Over those three days the battalion fought a defensive action at Langemarke, though they were relieved very early on the morning of the 24th. Most of the fighting and casualties occured on 22 and 23.

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks. I have his MIC, listing him as a Cpl - Promoted just prior to embarking for France.

Hi Chris

Capt Thomas Cecil Boyd DOW 210717 from wounds recieved on 5 July 1917. The younger son of Mrs Boyd of 27 Roland Gardens, London. Educated at Cheltenham College and Sandhurst. Gazetted 2 LT into Cameron Hldrs 16 June 1915. Promoted LT 23 Dec 1916 and A/Capt 21 May 1917. Sorry its a bit thin as biographies for officers go. It appears in the October 17 edition which was the start of brown paper pages so I guess restrictions were kicking in.

Ian

Excellent! Thanks, Ian.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Owain

I've had a look through the casualty lists for your man but there is no sign of him. Are you sure he was with the 2 battalion throughout his service? If he was, it was fairly unusual, even in peace time a man would have expected to have been crossposted between battalions over the course of twenty odd years service. I suggest you contact Ft. George to see what they have on him. There may be a short biography of his service in the magazine around the time he was discharged.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Apologies for not thanking you for the reply. I think that Pte. Kidd did spend all of his service with the 2nd Camerons. With his medals and badges are two spoons which are testimony to his overseas service. The first spoon is punch-stamped with the countries in which he served. The stamping has been done at different times, with various sizes of letters. I am wondering if the spoon was well known amongst his mates, as the second spoon is carefully punch stamped and as this commemorates his service from 1900 to 1921, I wonder if it was presented to him on leaving the army.

The countries are as follows:

Gibraltar, Cyprus, Malta, South Africa, Hong Kong, Tientsin N.China, India, Belgium, France, Greece, Macedonia, Servia, Bulgaria, Russia, Turkey, Italy.

The first spoon gets as far as Greece...

It all makes a facinating document!

Cheers

Owain.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest STorrie

Hi Ian.

I am just doing some family tree work and looking at a photo owned by my Mother-in-Law. On the back, is written "No9 Platoon, C Company, 1st Camerons 1918 france"

We think that her father, William Corrigan, is in the photo but we can't make him out.

Is the photo of any use to you?

Steve

Hi Ian,

I was wondering if you had any info on my great uncle Norman MacLeod, he was a Private in the Cameron Highlanders 7th Battalion and was killed in action on 08/07/1917. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gordon.

Hello Ian,

Could you please tell me if you have anything on the following 2 men?

Private James Ruddy

5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Reg No. S/20288

Died 17/8/1916 at 18th C.C. Station.

Private Maurice William O'Connor

5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders

Reg No. S/20288

Died 17/8/1916

Buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery

You may notice that both men have the same Reg No. This is from an old thread of mine, to which I still have no answers! They may or may not be the same man. Many thanks!

Hi Steve

Yes! I am very much interest in the photo and I appreciate your offer.

Ian

Hi

Pte Ruddy is included in a casualty list published in the October edition of the magazine. Only basic details I am afraid. There is no sign of Pte O'Conner at all.

Ian[

Thanks for the info, Ian.

Sorry for asking again, but what basic details were included? I'm trying to establish whether O'Connor took Ruddy's identity in this long-running problem.

I have Ruddy's death certificate, but O'Connor's details are on the grave!

Gary