Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hello srewart

There are a few promotions, the vast majority being officer and commissions. Like wise with photos, mostly accompanying officer obituaries. The first 18 months are great but censorship kicks in and get worse until by 1918 its almost entirely casualty lists.

Ian

Hi Ian

Just wondering if you had any luck finding my guy, Sergeant Peter Bruce?

If its any help his battalion may not have been listed as th 4th as they were scattered about the other Cameron Battalions in mid 1916. Seems he could have gone to the 1st, 5th, 6th or 7th. Hope this doesn't confuse matters. I still suspect it will be the 4th Camerons though as they are the Batt mentioned on his medals.

Yours hopefully!

Patrick

Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hi Ian

Would you have anything on Sgt James Macdonald, S/13432, 7th Battalion. I think he's entitled to a SWB but I'm unsure why/when this might have been issued. Also, I'd be interested to know if he was with the 7th Batt at Loos in Sept 1915. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm also interested in Sgt Jame Currie (S/14111) who won the DCM, also 7th Battalion, any info on this man would also be appreciated.

Regards - Andy

Hi Patrick

Sorry its taken some time to get back to you. I wanted to double check. The only reference to a Sgt Bruce is a 23799 Sgt J Bruce who appears in a wounded list published April 1917. Another Bruce is 23245 Cpl. J Bruce Oct 1917.

Ian

Thanks for your time on this Ian. I really appreciate it.

It is possible he was a Sergeant Major as on of his medals shows him as WO Class II. Would they be mentioned in a separate list?

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I forgot the photo its stuck away from the notes in among another battalion's notes. It's the Sergeants of the 1/4 battalion at Corbie February 1916. There is a Sgt P Bruce named. You may already have the photo if not send me your email address and I will scan it for you.

Ian

Hi Ian

Would you have anything on Sgt James Macdonald, S/13432, 7th Battalion. I think he's entitled to a SWB but I'm unsure why/when this might have been issued. Also, I'd be interested to know if he was with the 7th Batt at Loos in Sept 1915. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm also interested in Sgt Jame Currie (S/14111) who won the DCM, also 7th Battalion, any info on this man would also be appreciated.

Regards - Andy

Hi Andy

I've been through the magazines twice but no sign of either man. Just about everyone in the 7 battalion was a casualty of some sort after Loos and there are page after page of names but no Sgt James McDonald or even a Cpl McDonald. There were a couple of casualties with numbers next to his, but no sign of him.

As for Currie and his DCM, again in every edition there are lists of gallantry awards but no sign of Currie's DCM. I will keep my eye out in case either of their names pop up somewhere else.

Ian

Thats fantastic Ian, thanks so much!

My e-mail address is patrick.watt@hotmail.com

Again, many thanks

Patrick

Hello Ian.

Would there be any information on S-16738 Pte William Train MM 7th Bn Camerons date of death 17/03/17

Aye Rob.

Hello Rob

In Jan 1917 edition. A supplement to London Gazette dated 10 Oct 1916. HM King has been graciously pleased to award the Military Medal for bravery in the field to the under mentioned: Among others, S/16738 Pte. W. Train. No other details. In the July edition it listed; 16738 Pte. W. Train Died of Wounds 19 March 1917. There are no other details.

Ian

Many Thanks for the information Ian.

Aye Rob.

Hello Ian,

could you oblige and see if you have anything about these men please.

Cpl

George Stevenson

Cameron Highlanders , "B" Coy. 1st Bn.

Killed in action 02/10/1914

LCpl

James Purves

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders 2nd Battalion

S/11079

Killed in action 08/05/1915

and

LCpl

John B Williamson

Cameron Highlanders ,1st Battallion

Killed in action21/12/1914

Anything on them would be appreciated. Did you get the stuff I sent you on Joe Cassidy alright? If not I can resend it along with some stuff about Felix McNamara.

John

Hi John

I must apologise, you must think I am a total !!!!!!!!! for not replying. I am not in the least computer savvy and I spend most of my time on the forum operating in a fog. Talk about the Fog of War. I spent the best part of 3 hours trying to get a decent size photo onto the forum and never managed it yet. I don't know if I got your last stuff, so I would be grateful if you sent it again along with the stuff for McMamara. I have been making some progress with some of the others, particularly Ribchester. If you are interested let me know and I will attempt to get it to you.

Anyway after all that, your stuff. A bit of a mixed bag, but something to exercise the brain no doubt. Pte. G. Stevenson B Coy: Found Dead 2 Oct 14. The battalion had been in trenches at Vendresse since the middle of September being relieved by a Frech unit on 16 October. Would you believe there is a gap in the battalion diary of six days covering 2 Oct of course. Sods Law!!

9379 L/Cpl J. Williamson, KIA 27 December 1914. " 25 Dec, Bn Hq and C and D companies, made up to 300 men altogether, moved to the north side of the Canal and took over certain trenches east of Givenchy village from the Black Watch. Remained there for two days in miserable conditions." No mention of any casualties over the period. On 21 Dec they had attacked Givenchy and on 22 defended it until relieved by Berkshire Regt. Total losses over the two days were 196 rank and file. Something to think about.

11079 L/Cpl. J Purves KIA 8 May 1915. At 2000 on 4 May the battalion took over a portion of the line near Hooge. A Coy or right, B Coy centre and D Coy on left. C Coy were the reserve. The trenches were in a very bad state, being extremely wet and in some places there was practically no parapet at all. 5,6,7 May all fairly quite. On morning of 8 May the area north of Menin Rd and Hooge were heavily shelled. C Company was brought forward to reinforce 4 K.R.R.'s. who had suffered considerably. The battalion suffered 20 casualties.

Hope that is of interest.

Ian

Hi Ian, don't worry about it if I had a pound for every 'senior moment' , I would be a millionaire by now. Thanks for the information George Steveson is a conundrum the CWGC agrees with the magazine, 'found dead' a bit of a strage one that, but the local paper has him in twice , five years apart as dying on the 14th September, 1914 once on a death notice the other a in memorium from 1919.

post-12171-1220298239.jpg

Memorium dated May 1919.

In proud and loving memory of my beloved son 9137 Corporal George Stevenson, 1st Cameron Highlanders killed in action 14th September,1914

Not marked by wood cross,

not even marked at all,

Just buried 'neath the green grass sod,

In the place they saw him fall.

Inserted by his sorrowing mother and brothers, 41 Muirpark Eskbank

I might impose upon you Ian if you dont mind, quite a few local lads died with Cameron Highlanders.

John

Ian,

I have a relative, Hugh Howat S/11960 of the 6Bn who died at Loos on 26 Sep 1915. I know a reasonable amount about the 6Bn from John Jackson's book -"Memoir of a Tommy", but would be most grateful for any information that you can glean such as the Company in which he was serving in.

Yours ay

Kim

Kim

I am sorry to say there is only one mention of S/11960 Pte Hugh Howat and thats in the Missing in Action 26 Sept 1915 list. It was published in the magazine in the January 1916 edition.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

I am currently researching my great grandfather Lt-Col Alexander Fraser, CO 1/4 Cameron Highlanders. He died at Festubert on 18th May 1915. Any information you might have would be gladly received.

thanks

Dom

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

If your generous offer is still available, I am looking for information on my great-uncle:

Private J McGENN

7351, 1st Bn., Cameron Highlanders

who died age 27

on 05 November 1914

I am VERY new to this. A cousin sent me a photo of this fellow with only his name on the back. I have begun to research him and am learning more about WW1 each day. On Remembrance Day, I talked to my children about him and it definitely made more of a connection for them. I would like to find out more about what battle he may have been in and how he died. He is buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery.

Many thanks, :D

Georgia (Canada)

Ian

If your offer is still open can you find any mention of 9482 Pte Archibald Macrae 1st Bn. Cameron Highlanders. He was with the battalion from August 1914 until transfered to 1st Garrison Btn Scottish Rifles as 25424 L/Cpl on 1/2/1916. Did he come through this period unscathed or was he wounded prior to his transfer? Any info would be great, thanks.

Ian

If your generous offer is still available, I am looking for information on my great-uncle:

Private J McGENN

7351, 1st Bn., Cameron Highlanders

who died age 27

on 05 November 1914

I am VERY new to this. A cousin sent me a photo of this fellow with only his name on the back. I have begun to research him and am learning more about WW1 each day. On Remembrance Day, I talked to my children about him and it definitely made more of a connection for them. I would like to find out more about what battle he may have been in and how he died. He is buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery.

Many thanks, :D

Georgia (Canada)

Hello Georgia

Pte J McGenn is listed among the casualties sustained by the battalion around that date. He is listed as simply "Killed in Action." He was killed during the final stage of the 1st Battle of Ypres. He would have been involved in some very heavy fighting particularly during the defence of Gheluvelt 30/31 Oct. On 1 November the battalion moved into trenches about three quarters of a mile from Polderhoek and just south of the S.W. corner of Zonnebeke Wood. The battalion was involved in a "Stiff Fight" on 2 Nov when it lost two officers killed and had several other casualties. After fighting off the Germans the battalion retired a half mile to new positions. It remained in the new positions until 10 November. Pte McHenn was killed in action while in these new positions. Unfortunately the magazine doesn't elaborate as to exactly where the new positions were, but they would not have been far from the corner of Zonnebeke Wood. If you contact Ft. George they will send you a copy of the battalion War Diary which may be more precise. There are also a number of good books covering the 1 Battle of Ypres.

Ian

Ian

If your offer is still open can you find any mention of 9482 Pte Archibald Macrae 1st Bn. Cameron Highlanders. He was with the battalion from August 1914 until transfered to 1st Garrison Btn Scottish Rifles as 25424 L/Cpl on 1/2/1916. Did he come through this period unscathed or was he wounded prior to his transfer? Any info would be great, thanks.

Ian

Hello Ian

9482 Pte. A MacCrae is listed among those wounded on or around 24 Oct 1914. He suffered a gunshot wound to his left hand which was described as slight.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I am currently researching my great grandfather Lt-Col Alexander Fraser, CO 1/4 Cameron Highlanders. He died at Festubert on 18th May 1915. Any information you might have would be gladly received.

thanks

Dom

Hello Dom

There is quite a bit about Col. Fraser and the action at Festubert during which he was killed. There is also a photo and a copy of the letter sent to his widow by his Adjutant. There is also an obituary on him. It covers a few pages perhaps you should contact Ft. George who I am sure will be please to send you copies of the pages. If you have any problems get back to me and I will attempt to scan them but I am not very computer savvy.

Ian

Ian

Thanks very much for the info which ties in very nicley with another reply I have received on this forum in a different thread in relation to Great Uncle Archie, and adds yet another snippet of information, ie. the nature of his wound, to the general picture of his service.

Thanks again

Ian

Hello Ian,

You have generously offered to look at the Regimental Magazines to see if you can provide information on members of the regiment and your responses so far are testimony not only to your own diligence but also to that of the compliers of the magazines so many years ago.

I am wondering if you might have any information on Herbert Cawthra (200755 4th Battalion but merged into 1st Battalion) who was reported missing on 3rd September 1916 in the action at Pozieres in the Somme. I have copies of the Battalion diary for September so I am aware of what was happening at the time. He is buried in a named grave at Caterpillar Valley but it appears that he was missing for quite a period as, as a forum member has recently pointed out in response to an earlier posting of mine, he was allocated a new Regimental Number which would have been in 1917 indicating that he had not been reported found at that time.

I am researching all the Cawthras in the Great War and I am in touch with two of his grandchildren and they and I am a bit mystified over the fact that he must have been found subsequently (we presume) in order to be placed in a named grave. I just wonder if there is anything in the magazine that might give some further information about him.

No hurry - this is a long term project for me!

David Cawthra

Hello Ian,

I am wondering if I might trouble you to look for a certain 5166 Pte. James KIDD who served with the 2nd Cameron Highlanders. He was a regular from Dundee who joined in 1900 and retired in 1921. I have a number of items relating to him.

Many thanks

Owain.