Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Guest Robert thorburn

Hi Ian. I was wondering if I could trouble you to have a look for any details pertaining to 9796 Pte Robert Kirkwood from Lumphinnans in Fife. He was KIA on the 28th Sept 1915 during the battle of Loos, whilst seving with the 1 Bn QOCH ( Coy & Plt also unknown). He was my Great Uncle and this is the only information I could find about him. He, like many men has no known grave and is remembered on the memorial wall in the Dud corner War cemetary in France. Any information about him and the actions of the 1 Bn QOCH on the day he fell would be greatly appreciated. All the best. Bob Thorburn ex Sgt RE. 

Hello Ian,

A relative of mine, Pte. George Haywood, was killed in action with 2 Camerons during 2nd Ypres.  His body was never found and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial.  The date on which he died, according to the War Diary, was 10th May, 1915.  As you will probably be aware, at that time, all the casualties, including wounded, were listed individually in the Diary.  However in all other official records he is recorded as dying on the 11th May, 1915.  As I say, his body was never found, so he did not die of wounds the day after he was wounded.  There is also another bit of a puzzle over his service number.  In most cases it is stated as 3/6022, but in some others it is S/6022.

His personal records have not survived, but as far as I know, he was not a Regular or Territorial and joined up on the outbreak of hostilities, so I have always been surprised that he was serving with the 2 Battalion so early in the War.  Additionally, he came from Kilmarnock and again, as far as I know, there was no family tradition of serving with the Camerons, who tended to recruit a touch further north than Ayrshire - maybe he just liked the tartan.  With your considerable knowledge and experience, I would be very much obliged if you could tell me anything further about the death of Private Haywood.  I have read several books about the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge, such as John Dixon's Magnificent But Not War, but if you are aware of any published work which gives more detail of 2 Battalion's ordeal on the 10/11th May, 1915, please let me know.

I should also insert a cautionary note regarding Fort George and War Diaries.  I contacted the Fort a year or two ago regarding George Haywood.  I mentioned that Private Haywood was listed as one of the casualties for the 10th May, 1915, but the lady I spoke to insisted that there was no list of casualties for that date in the Diary.  After a bit of discussion, it became apparent that the Museum did not have the full War Diary - it was an abridged, printed document.  I referred the lady to The National Archives for the full story, but obviously I cannot say if that deficiency has been corrected.

• 2 months later...

I posted my note above to Ian McCallum on 21st January this year, but have had no response as yet.  Does anybody know if he is still contributing to the Blog or not?

• 1 month later...

In the time sine this was last asked, does anyone know of a digitization of the 79th News?

Thanks,

James

Hi James

The Mitchell Library may hold copies but don't appear to have an online catalogue for pre-1971 items.  I read a copy at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh.

Jim

On 6/4/2017 at 13:27, jlang said:

Hi James

The Mitchell Library may hold copies but don't appear to have an online catalogue for pre-1971 items.  I read a copy at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks a bunch, just spent most of my day in there and have access to the 79th News now!

James

• 5 months later...

Hi -

My great-uncle Thomas Adamson was a corporal in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 2nd Battalion A company (S/11312 ). I wonder if anyone here has any data or information regarding that Battalion/company or maybe even (long shot I know!) about him. He was killed May 11 1915.  I am on a quest to find information/photos about him and his brother Archie (a gunner  - 810715  Royal Field Artillery 232 Brigade B Company - killed on July 30 1917)

Edited by NixM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ian

i. Wondering if you would have any information concerning a Cameron 

pte 9366 Charles Grant I believe was 1st battalion.

he was awarded a 1914 mons trio for entry of theatre 14/8/1914.

unfortunatly the War diary was lost at AISNE on the 21/9/1914.

he was also wounded on 15/1/15.

any info concerning him would be much appreciated 

Edited by George Macdonald

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian 

can you find any information on my grandfather

pte william John macdonald 34621 previous I/4 camerons 200318.

was career soldier in and out;can’t find anything on him between 1914-18 

i think service papepers detroyed,

joined regulars under number 2922870  from Inverness.

was mentioned in magazine March 73 when he died as longest and one of the oldest members of his branch.

thanks

Hi George,

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 02:33, George Macdonald said:

i think service papepers detroyed,

What's left of his probably heavily weeded file appears to be held by the MoD.

image.png.87da316d0f14b4c8aeff0b78c6eda0ac.png

Advice on how to get a copy is here

There is a helpdesk phone number towards the top of this webpage.

Regards

Chris

Earlier in this thread I was given help regarding my Great Uncle Patrick Sherry,  Service Number: S/21277

Ive recently subscribed to the Forces War Records site and have found an entry for a P Sherry which I believe is Patrick. 

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/7192351/private-p-sherry-cameronians-scottish-rifles/

It does contain new information which I have an enquiry about. Perhaps the transcription is inaccurate?

Was it common for Soldier's religion information to be inaccurate?  If this entry is indeed my Great Uncle, then he was Catholic not C of E.

When Soldiers were dying/died at the Casualty Clearing Station, were they given last rites and burial in accordance to their religion?

Hello,

I have another query which I hope someone may be able to help me with.

I downloaded the war diary for the 5th Queens Own Cameron Highlanders and if I have correctly deciphered the handwriting they were in trenches from mid Dec 1916 until my Great Uncle's death during the first week of January 1917.  However I cant make out where they were located.

Can anyone shed some light?

Hi,

The 9 Division HQ war diary (Ancestry link) says that on 5th December 1916 the GOC took command of the line east, and north east of Arras. The entry for 10th December 1916 reads, in part "...The 5th Camerons relieved the 7th Seaforths in I [capital I] 2 ...".

Regards

Chris

25 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

The 9 Division HQ war diary (Ancestry link) says that on 5th December 1916 the GOC took command of the line east, and north east of Arras. The entry for 10th December 1916 reads, in part "...The 5th Camerons relieved the 7th Seaforths in I [capital I] 2 ...".

Regards

Chris

Thank you so much for this.  I didn't realise Ancestry had the 9 Division HQ War Diary.    Im currently writing up a blog post on what I know about my Great Uncle's short life - which is almost next to nothing.  I wanted to find out where he was injured before going to CCS 17 on the 5th.

Hi,

The diary for 7 Seaforth Highlanders says that they were in trenches at Blangy. It records that their left front was formed by Blangy and the river Scarpe; and their right front by Artillery Road. There is a map in the diary - Ancestry link here.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

9 Division 'medical arrangements' are here on Ancestry. Given the I2 reference in the 10 Bn Diary, I guess that your great uncle may have received some initial treatment at the Regimental Aid Post at Irksome Avenue, before being evacuated further backwards.

Edited by clk

2 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

The diary for 7 Seaforth Highlanders says that they were in trenches at Blangy. It records that their left front was formed by Blangy and the river Scarpe; and their right front by Artillery Road. There is a map in the diary - Ancestry link here.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

9 Division 'medical arrangements' are here on Ancestry. Given the I2 reference in the 10 Bn Diary, I guess that your great uncle may have received some initial treatment at the Regimental Aid Post at Irksome Avenue, before being evacuated further backwards.

Chris, this is terrific.  Thank you!

• 3 months later...
Guest macsterba

Hi Ian,  I'm puzzled by the info that the QOCH were relieved on 24th oct 1914 at Langemarke.  My Grandfather, Richard Law, l/Cpl 5579 said he was 'wounded and captured at Langemarke about 8pm on 25th October 1914' when he was examined by Capt A M Stickings, 1st Wilts Regt at Manor Farm, Interlaken on 4th June 1917.  Could he have the date wrong - or was there subsequent action after they were relieved?  The deposition is interesting - No 913 - as it describes kilted soldiers being flung on to haystacks which were on fire. and details life as a POW.

• 11 months later...

I think this is a long shot but I’m looking for a: 

J Milne 

Private - 6th battalion Cameron Highlanders 

S/17466

died 22/01/1917 

this is all the information I know about him but desperately looking for more! Photographs , paragraphs about him, how he died anything 

(sorry about butting in on this forum, any help with be greatly appreciated) 

thank you 

Jade 

email: Jadelocking@outlook.com

Hi Jade and welcome

Name:Joseph Milne

Birth Place:Paisley, Renfrewshire

Residence:Glasgow

Death Date:22 Jan 1917

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Regiment:Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Battalion:6th Battalion

Regimental Number:S/17644

Type of Casualty:Killed in action

HERE is the CWGC entry

Soldiers Effects names Widow "Jessie Brownlie"

regards

Jon

The War Diary is HERE on Ancestry, scroll as needed, or you can download from National Archives HERE for a fee

Hi Jade,

If you click on the CWGC link that Jon posted, you will see a tab labelled 'concentration' that gives you some information about where he was buried before being moved to his current resting place. The sheet says of him (and a number of other 6th Battalion Cameron Highlanders) "The above remains were all found in a blown up War time shelter". It also shows a map reference of 57c.M.21.b.75.95. There is help on how to read map references here. This link should open up on a map from January 1917 with (map sheet 57c) square M.21 in the centre. Sub square 'b'  is the upper right of the four within the main square. If you use the transparency slider you can blend the map with a view of the modern landscape.

For some reason the Bn. war diary (see link in post #351) doesn't seem to reflect the destruction of the shelter. Perhaps it only recorded known casualties, and that the men were initially treated as missing.

If you would like an image of his grave stone, it looks like British War Graves would be able to send you one, on a free of charge basis.

The is good advice on how to research a soldier on the Long, Long Trail - see here.

Regards

Chris