Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Own cameron Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hi Guys

I have the original magazines covering 1914 - 1918 inclusive. The detail is amazing especially for the first eighteen months and especially for the two regular battalions. If anyone wants a look up feel free to get in touch.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Do you have any information on 5993 Pte {later Cpl} Henry Burns, 1st camerons? He enlisted about 1902-03 and went to france on the 14th August 1914. He is listed in the Scotsman as being wounded, the list is dated 9th November 1914.

That's all I know about him at present.

Many thanks,

Stewart

Hi Ian

I have a James Cheape Sandie who died on 25 September 1915 (B Coy, 7th Battalion).

He's a relative - if you have anything on him I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

[Hi Kim

I have a S/14203 Pte. J.C. Sandie annotated in the 2nd List of Missing.

Ian

[Hi Stewart

I have 5993 Pte.H. Burns, wounded left arm.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the info. Does it give any dates for the action or when the list was published? If you come across any other information on him, I would be very greatful.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi there

My great-grandfather was 724 Sergeant Peter Bruce on 4th Battalion Cameron Highlanders. I would be really grateful if you could let me know if he is mentioned.

Regards

Patrick Watt

Ian thanks for letting us know what you have. Is there anything on my great uncle 1619 Pte Roderick McLean 4th Battalion died 10/01/1915? I'm named after him and have his dead man's penny and cap badge so I'm interested to find out what caused his untimely demise at only 17.

Rod

[Hello Stewart

No unfortunately there are no more details, however, the list of men reported as missing which is immediately above the wounded list says "Missing between 22 -24 October 1914." There also appears to be four catagories of wounded: slight, severe, serious and simply the mention of the wound itself. What that indicates I will leave up to you to decide. The issue is dated January 1915.

Ian

Hello Rod

He died 100115 of Scarlet Fever following measles. At the time the battalion was training in Bedford, England.

Ian

Hello Patrick

In what context might your grandfather be mentioned was he killed or wounded? Have you any idea of when the occurence happened. The magazines cover four years and are page after page of lists of names.

Ian

[sorry nothing more. The list was for those reported missing on 25 September 1915.

Ian

Hi Ian

He was wounded in 1917-1918 I think, apparently at Soissons (so the family story goes). He was a sergeant, then Sergeant Major in the 4th Camerons but they were disbanded in 1916 and the troops went elsewhere. Just trying to find out where he went! He lived until 1972 but was quite obviously wounded apparently.

Hope you can help

Patrick

[Hello Alan

Sorry nothing on William Cooper. I looked through 1917 and 1918 but to no avail. I would suggest you contact Ft George, the magazine continued after the war and I am certain his retirement would have gotten a mention with a full biography.

Ian

Thanks heaps Ian that's cleared up a mystery that I've been trying to solve for a long while. All the best to you and yours in your research.

Rod

Ian

Thanks very much for looking ( was Alfred William btw). Did contact Fort George, but they thought there were a number of references to him in the magazine over the years including photos but could only suggest that I come up and search formyself ( not really do-able at the moment).

HAve got one cutting of his obit from the magazine, but without photo.

Thanks again

Alan

Hello Ian,

I have a copy of the Regimental History for the 1 and 2nd Battalions, published in 1931. In there there is reference to battalion Sports day on the 10th August 1916. It mentions a veterens Race and a Pte Burns taking part. Can you tell me if it's the same Pte Burns? I know that there was at least one other who had been in the battalion in 1914, but his first name was Patrick.

Very many thanks once again,

Stewart

Hello Stewart

There is indeed a Pte Burns, B Coy in the Veterans Race, he came in third. Unfortunately there is no other identification just the surname, rank and company. The battalion had recently come from the trenches at Loos.

Ian

Hello Alan

I am sorry Ft. George couldn't do anything for you. I've seen a couple of references on the forum of people going to the Fort. If you give one of them his death details, it would only take a few minutes to have a look for you. Unfortunately I am in Glasgow.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Thank you once again for all of your help, it has been very helpful. Pte H Burns later became a Cpl. Does the magazines have any lists of promotions in it, or by that stage in the war do they not tend to list them. Do your magazines have many photographs in them? It seems a great resource you have.

Regards,

Stewart