Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Drake" Which unit/regiment is this?

CroppyBoy1798

Hi guy, first post B)

Recieved this great set of WW1 bino's and leather case lately, an e-bay buy. The seller never mentioned anything about there being a name on it. But, as it turns out there is, its marked under the carry handle:

POLAWSON

D Coy. DRAKE

Polawson seems to have survived the war anyway, but what is/was 'Drake'? I cant find any regiments of that name, the only one 'Drakes company of Militia' was long gone before WW1. Can anyone help? I'd like to maybe find out a little more about Polawson seen as I now have his bino's :D

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

Drake Battalion was part of the Royal Naval Division - land bound sailors fighting as infantry:

http://www.1914-1918.net/63div.htm

P.O. probably being Petty Officer , as in Petty Officer Lawson.

Steve.

Yes Petty Officer "Drake" Batn. Royal Naval Division ... you lucky devil ... I never find pieces like that ... I envy you!

Regrds,

Cris

Many thanks for the great info guys! Exciting to have a named item, so much more to it!

By the way, that link you gave me Steve, to the three 'Lawsons', would it be possible to find out which of them served in 'Drake' Btn?

Them binos belonged to Bristol Z/328 Petty Officer Lawson, 'D' Company (later 'C' Company), Drake Battn.

He had a chequered career, ending in Court Martial.

Them binos belonged to Bristol Z/328 Petty Officer Lawson, 'D' Company (later 'C' Company), Drake Battn.

He had a chequered career, ending in Court Martial.

:o Seriously?! Wow, thats amazing! Thanks very much for that, any idea of what he was court martialed for?

Edit: Just downloaded this guys service record, very interesting indeed! Seems he went off the rails a little later in the war! Striking a superior officer, absent without leave! Many thanks for the help guys.