Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Men

Guest Gazunder

This may be of interest to some forum members, I found the website below in the Manchester rootsweb site, hope it may help some members.

http://www.spinningtheweb.org.uk/bookbrows...40.467+N1&size=

The Manchester volume records details of approximately 10,000 Manchester men - and women - who served in World War I and includes a brief summary of military service, including awards and dates of demobilisation, injury, or death. Each entry also includes the subject's home address.

Gazunder

Thanks for the post. Nice to see this available as a "freebie" at last. The CD I have is a b*****d to load.

For folk new to this book, you need to take it with a pinch of salt. Names were included "by subscription" and the contribution was from the casualty's family. So, doesnt follow that if you can't find your man then he didnt live in manchester (just meant his family couldnt afford/didnt want to pay). Also doesnt follow that the info is accurate.

For example - the only time I have found someone in the Manchester volume that I was researching, the info (from where he lived to when he was killed) was plain wrong.

It's greatest use is to help to identify soldiers who survived, rather than fatalities

John

Thanks for the link. I just had a go but none of the men I'm researching was in there. Amazing, when 10,000 are.

Pat

Pat

One of the additional difficulties with the book is that the vast majority of the entries come from Manchester's "inner city". Even allowing for post-1918 urban growth, there is a very restricted catchment are. Men from communities which were within the city boundaries but, effectively, still almost villages are hardly mentioned.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, it was by subscription - but it makes me wonder if there was door-to-door selling going on. Anyone know?

John